Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting the networking right -- or don't do it.

Gail Simone who's an established writer for DC comics -- currently Batgirl -- was in the store yesterday.  I think she and her family come in once or twice a year.   They live over on the coast.

I was talking to another customer about my books, and didn't realize she and her husband were in the store,  so they acted surprised that I was actually writing.  (I'm sure I probably mentioned it before -- but maybe not.  Big difference between writing currently and having "once wrote".) 

I mentioned my blog which gets about 250 hits a day -- but which I'm pretty sure about 200 of those are accidental.  She casually mentioned her 70,000 followers.  (She was kind enough not to mention it in contrast -- it came up later in the conversation.)

Anyway, it's always interesting to talk to a working writer -- to get a sense of it, how they go about it, how they feel the market works and so on.

She did a successful Kickstarter recently.

There is just this "connectivity" thing that I think successful artists have -- a way of communicating with their fans, a way of networking -- that I just don't have, and probably never will.

It reminds me of the conferences and conventions and internet marketing (before that mail-order).  I've tried all these things more than once -- early in my career especially.  And I found I just didn't have the knack -- whatever it is.  No way to introduce myself without being awkward

I read once that getting on the media to promote your work is the best thing ever -- except if you make a bad impression.  That is actually worse than not being out there at all.

I'm not saying I would make a necessarily 'bad' impression, only that it doesn't come easy for me.  I make wrong choices -- just slightly.  Just a little off.  And without that ability to get it right, I've found I'm better off just staying myself.  Even if it means being the lone wolf.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I learn something every day. I had always assumed Gail was gay. Boy was I off. I've talked to her a few times online and was one of those irate fans when it was announced she was off Batgirl (which DC has since changed), and she has always seemed like one of the standout creators in the industry. Funny and honest, but a good person all around. As for Kickstarter...it is an amazing option. I've had friends get their books off the ground through it or like a recent friend of mine in Boise, and entire brewery. With Kickstarter it seems to really come down to your saturation and presentation: your ability to reach as many people as you can while giving them the full brunt of vigor you have in the endeavor. I think in your case it could be done. Your shop has a decent Facebook presence (I talk to the boys there from time to time) and your foot traffic could benefit you in simply posting something in the store that is noticeable and directs interested parties to the web page. It is something I'm looking at currently in getting my somewhat unorthodox and controversial business off the ground right now. Either way good luck to you Dunc. I have enjoyed the Filkins postings you have had here, and think as you keep saying, with some tweaking this stuff could shine. I am curious about your other stuff as well so look forward to seeing the release of the polished finished product.