Monday, July 16, 2012

Just one big sigh.

Someone told me once, never admit you're wrong. Don't even be self-deprecating. It makes you look weak.

Well, fuck that.

Anyway, we actually had a pretty good weekend, about what I would've expected without the Summer Pest.

I think there was a reason for that: we didn't have a big blocky stage right in front of our store. But we did have all the booze!

Anyway, I'm not backing off my wish that we stop closing the streets downtown. There are some who are going to benefit, and some who are going to lose, and I'm sort of philosophically opposed to any process that picks winners over losers, if something more neutral can be arranged. Do no harm.

**********

I wasn't going to comment on Seth Stevenson's uninformed, patronizing and superficial opinions about comics in Slate. My biggest reaction was: Sigh. What else is new?

But then the Bulletin had to go and print a abridged version of the story in the Sunday paper.

Maybe every insider has this reaction to an outsider making judgments about which something they know nothing about.

The really disheartening thing to me, are the comments, many of which can be distilled down to: comic readers are immature and stupid.

Sigh.

I can't be bothered to defend myself against uninformed bias.

**********

The last presidential election, I had Bendbubble 2 blog to visit to go and express my political opinions, keeping my own blog free.

Oh, and I have opinions.

But...I'm not going to express them here.

I'll just have to find some other place to vent.

Funny. Four years ago I was accused of talking the Democratic "talking points" and I didn't know what the hell they were talking about. They really were my own opinions, based on reading the Bulletin and watching mainstream media...but mostly on what I'd like to think was my own reasoning.

This time around, I'm fully aware of MSNBC and Slate and Salon and Huffington Post.

But reading all the comments there, just make me feel like it's pretty useless. The center has split -- there is no center -- there are only the extremes.

***********

Man, today's entries are just one big sigh, aren't they.

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Someone told me once, never admit you're wrong. Don't even be self-deprecating. It makes you look weak."

Never admitting you're wrong even when you're obviously wrong just makes you look stupid.

Bewert said...

"Well, fuck that."

Truer words have never been spoken, especially in regards to politics today.