Sunday, May 27, 2012

Writing and gardening just go together.

Linda spent the day finishing up her reading of my manuscript.

So I have 3 out of the four copies I gave out, back sitting on my desk. (Not sure what's happening with the 4th.....)

Anyway, I'm going to make another attempt to improve the book. I'm not going to say the "last" attempt anymore, because who knows? But a good solid attempt.

It may not be fixable, but I've got to try. Then on to the next book...that's all I can do, is try.

I may not start for about a month, because I have traveling to do in the meanwhile, but I'm willing and able to get going again.



Linda's comment was, "You write really well, but the story has problems."

It's funny. When I first started writing years ago, almost all the focus was on the writing -- that is, the stringing of words together, the choice and sequence of words. The story? That just seemed secondary.

Now -- I'm not as worried about the words, but much more concerned with the story. So much so, that I think I probably need to at least try to work out the story before I start, to some extent.

Problem is, I really do discover the story through the process. Which may mean that I'll always struggle with structure and background and plot.



But at least I'm back to writing.

I'm thinking that writing comes from the writer -- not from the response.

I'm self-identifying as a writer again, and I like it.

***********

I may have mentioned this before, I can't remember. But gardening is a more expensive activity than you might think.

My garden looks rather sparse, despite spending a fair amount of money on plants. Of course, I'm measuring it against my Mom's fabulously lush garden, which is an impossible goal; I'll never have her green thumb, or her passion, or even the time she had to invest.

Still, for all the work, it seems pretty skimpy.

I used to be able to get plants from Mom, and always filled the much smaller gardens I had in the rentals I lived in. Never realized it was expensive. (Mom owned a nursery.)

I figure in another few years, it will look better. But right now, it's more like a "first-draft" version of a garden.

**********

3 comments:

Ten Bears said...

I told you I would be happy to look at it.

Melora Hart said...

Duncan! I'm hoping from the context you'll know who this is, (like the fact that I was in today for almost 2 hours and that resulted in talking about gardens) and, hah, now you know my online alter ego. ;) I never use my real name online in a way that can be connected~ Long story! But wouldn't you know that googling Libby's Garden would also lead me to your blog :3

I remembered the plant I was trying to think of~ Lamium, aka deadnettles. I have a pink variety, with variegated leaves, very close to the kind in the picture I'll link to. Like I said; it's great because it roots very well from cuttings if it gets enough water during start-up. All of mine was started from one sprig my mother collected. If you want it, please take some off my hands! I can bring you a TON of it if you'd like some free filler to try out in your garden. Even if you didn't use it, I wouldn't care: I have too much! (I would just give you no option and drop it off, but I don't know when you'll be out of town and didn't want you to feel pressured to get it in the ground.) It does very well in the sun and is currently the only thing I can get to grow in the deep shade under the juniper trees. It's a little invasive, and only a little bit evergreen so, if you want it, don't plant it next to anything that starts slow in late spring. It almost always overtakes my hostas, it's quite the race.

http://www.finegardening.com/CMS/uploadedimages/Images/Gardening/Plants/Lamium_maculatum_pink_chablis_lg.jpg

The other plant I have a billion seedlings for is the hot pink variety of "Rose Campion." This stuff is growing so insanely well for me. I'm just throwing the baby plants out at this point~ I have nowhere left to put them. Deer don't seem to like it either, they don't touch the ones by my driveway even though they plow through everything else.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vn4MsIEVq-8/S_LJ0VFEx_I/AAAAAAAAEr4/ooqdOycvflE/s1600/roc1.jpg

Both are perennials and do really well in crap soil: I haven't amended it at all in some of the places these things are growing and they don't seem to mind in the least.

I also have a ton of this kind of stonecrop, it looks very cute with chives since both stick around all year: http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/_ccLib/image/plants/DETA-277.jpg

I might end up with a million white cosmos that will need a home too, they propagate from seeds very well but I'm talking about getting you 6 inch tall plants in a few weeks if you'd like them. Deer might eat those though.

I've already used up all my seeds from last year: but this fall/winter I'll have more seeds than I need for bachelor buttons, snow-in-summer, at least 3 colors of oriental poppies, and millions of corn poppies in mixed colors, white yarrow and yellow yarrow, ... and who knows what else. My mother and I are experimenting with a ton of new seeds this year. Oh, and strawberries! I have too many strawberries X)

Here are some better pics of the yard from last year:
http://woodland-mel.deviantart.com/art/Garden-What-I-ve-been-up-to-243944137
http://woodland-mel.deviantart.com/art/Garden-Update-July-Aug-253695362
Except for some of the foundation plants, petunias, bleeding hearts (and the peonies and bulbs that aren't pictured,) most of it was free! (The "rescued" lilac trees are also in these pics, heh) I would imagine karma dictates I share the good fortune by means of more free plants for others. So, seriously, email me if/when you want some plants to experiment with! melorasworld@gmail.com

Best wishes for the both of you on your trip!
& Incredibly sorry about your father.

Duncan McGeary said...

I would love some plants.

Whatever you feel like you can let go.

Maybe we should visit each others gardens? I'm not sure I have any plants you would want, but still...

I'm at the store on Wednesdays and Thursdays, if you have the time. It was great talking to you.