Friday, May 4, 2012

My personal Killer App.

It's not complex.

Before I went to Baker City last year for my writing trip, I casually mentioned to Linda that perhaps I should get a "cheap and simple" cellphone. I needed for my guys at the store to be able to get ahold of me, if I was going to take longer trips. Linda being the aspirational geek she is, bought me an iphone. Which was a bit of overkill.

She's been jealous for year.

To compensate, she bought herself an ipad.

She unilaterally decided I needed an ipad, too. What I think is really going on, is she wants the new ipad, so she can give me the 'old' ipad and get herself a new iphone at the same time.

So I can see some utility in an ipad, being able to carry it around in my backpack and all.

Meanwhile, I pretty much parked the iphone over the last year. Forgot to carry it mostly.

The recent problems with Dad, and the need to be available, finally impelled me to slip the phone into my pocket and carry it everywhere I go. So there's the killer app -- to make me available to people who need me. The only other thing I tend to use it for is to google stuff while watching T.V.

A lot of technical overkill.

Anyway, Linda technical ambitions overreach her technical skills, and she spent most of yesterday trying to transfer info, and programs, and passwords and all that other stuff, which drives me crazy. Which drives her crazy, and she comes to me for sympathy and, well, I have none.

"Well, you KNOW how I feel," I say, unsympathetically.

I have confidence she'll figure it out eventually. I'm sure I'll end up using the ipad to do some writing. Internet surfing. But, again. It's probably technical overkill.

2 comments:

Carl said...

There are apps to sync the passwords and other info between ipad, iphone and mac. Use the icloud feature to do this.

Broofa said...

iPads are not for writing - they're for reading. If you plan on writing, get a Mac Air so you'll have a real keyboard (and real computer.) My $.02.