Saturday, October 30, 2010

Writers, writers, everywhere.

Twice this week, I've had the creative impulse to continue one of my ongoing fiction stories.

The first time, I got busy and by now I'll be damned if I can remember the scene. Which is the danger of writing, while being busy. And more or less sums up why I haven't seriously pursued my writing career.

The second time was yesterday, and because I had Matt covering the opening hours at the store, I actually sat down and wrote the scene, and revised the scene proceeding it, as well. Very satisfying.

Thing is, I have 2 different novels I've started which have 5 chapters completed, 2 different novels started which have 4 chapters completed. And the promising start of another novel which would be a prequel to my seventh completed novel, which was my favorite but which never got published.

I liked all these beginnings, frankly, and think I'll try to nibble away at continuing them. No concern about where it all may lead...just have fun telling the story.

Suddenly, it seems like I'm surrounded by writers. There's Chris, who made it to last week's writer's group and seemed genuinely excited. There's Matt, who is producing works of fiction almost everyday on his On The Subject of Being Awesome Blog.

Yesterday, had a young guy come in and introduce himself as a S.F. writer. Ken Scholes. Turns out he is doing a signing at Paulina Springs bookstore -- last night in the Redmond store, and tonight at 6:30 at the Sisters store. I hope some of you guys can make it. Chris? Are you out there?

Looked up the author on Amazon, and sure enough there are a plethora of positive reviews. They sound right up my alley, and I'm intending to both order them for the store and to read them.

Here's the e-mail from Amanda at Paulina Springs:

"Hi Duncan,

We are hosting Ken Scholes, author of the Psalms of Isaak series, here at Paulina Springs Books this weekend. He'll be at our Redmond store on Friday, Oct. 29 and our Sisters store on Saturday, Oct. 30, both at 6:30 pm."

I apologize that I didn't get this message up yesterday.

Here's Ken Scholes Wiki entry:

Ken Scholes (born January 13, 1968) is a science fiction and fantasy writer living in St. Helens, Oregon. He refers to himself as "trailer boy", a reference to his childhood home.

His short story Into the Blank Where Life is Hurled won 3rd place in the 4th quarter of the 2005 Writers of the Future contest.

His first novel, Lamentation, was published on February 17, 2009. Based on a previous short story entitled "Of Metal Men and Scarlet Thread and Dancing with the Sunrise", it is the first of five in the Psalms of Isaak saga. Book two, Canticle, was released in October 2009.

Psalms of Isaak

  • Lamentation, Tor Books, February 2009
  • Canticle, Tor Books, October 2009
  • Antiphon, Tor Books, September 2010
  • Requiem, Tor Books, Forthcoming
  • Hymn, Tor Books, Forthcoming

1 comment:

Ken Scholes said...

Hi Duncan! It was great meeting you during my trip to the area. I wandered your store Saturday and saw a lot to love there.

I hope you enjoy the books! I'll plan to drop by again next time I'm in town.