Friday, December 4, 2009

'zine culture.

How many of you know what a 'zine is? Raise your hands? Yes? No?

Here's the Wiki definition:

"A zine (an abbreviation of the word fanzine, or magazine; pronounced "zeen") is most commonly a small circulation publication of original or appropriated texts and images. More broadly, the term encompasses any self-published work of minority interest usually reproduced via photocopier on a variety of colored paper stock.

A popular definition includes that circulation must be 5,000 or less, although in practice the significant majority are produced in editions of less than 100, and profit is not the primary intent of publication."


There is also a phenomenon known as 'mini-comics' which are pretty much the same thing. I've carried mini-comics for years, but Zine's I've always thought should be locally done, and for that locals need to do them. (Zines can be more of a catch-all, news and snark and stories and art all together; whereas I think of mini-comics as being story oriented.)

I've had only two young people over the years walk in the door and ask me if I carry Zines. I showed them my mini-comic selection, which was purchased from the last of the indy comic distributors (since defunct) and I told them I'd be glad to carry them, and even buy copies from them.

If comics are a hard sell, zine's are nearly impossible. And yet -- how can you not support such creativity and ingenuity?

O.K. I'm a 57 year old guy, and pretty staid. And yet I'm aware of zines and what they represent, and I pretty sure there is an active 'zine' culture in Portland revolving around art / comics / coffee.

But here in Bend? Mostly you get blank looks. The first girl who came in with a Zine, I told her she should go check out all the coffee shops around downtown, because I was convinced they would have them. She said no.

Still disbelieving, I called a couple of coffee places and got: "What's a Zine?"

A couple years ago, another young lady started coming in with Zines, and I'd give her a buck or two a piece and stick a buck or two price on them and put them with my mini-comics. Her name is Rachel Lee Carman and she's very creative. What's more, she's kept doing it.

I wondered if a Zine culture would startup in Bend.

So far....not so much.

However, Hayley at Between the Covers read one of Rachel's stories, and thought so much of it that she called the Bulletin; resulting in a story by Dave Jasper which is going to be published any day now. (I wish I'd thought of calling the Bulletin...)


I just finished reading two of Rachel's stories: the first is a 'Free' zine titled, KEEPERS OF THE GEMS, starring four young women who protect the gems "The Source of Creativity...." who decide they need to buy new sweaters for "Comic Book Day" (I like it) and leave the gems under the protection of guardian kittens in the Cave of Secrets.

But kittens being kittens and catnip being catnip and villains being villains the gems go astray....

I'm not very good at conveying the light touch and charm of the story.

The second Zine is called, V-D Zine and it's 'Valentine' to a variety of people, from Ira Glass to Oprah to Sean Hannity(!?) ("Dear Sean Hannity, Wow, it's been only a short time since we first met (a month). Remember when you were debunking global warming? I've really gotten to know since then: finding clips of youtube, googling your name and lingering on your squinty-eyed jaw-clenched mug." (Drawing of said-mug) "Already I've developd passionate feelings for you! Feelings I can only fantasize expressing with a knee to the groin."


With a Zine, anything goes -- the only limit is your imagination.

So I'm calling out all the zine-aphiles, and asking you to bring your stuff in. All you need is a xerox machine and a pen and paper and some inspiration...


6 comments:

Rachel Lee-Carman said...

Your synopsis of Keepers of the Gems is priceless. I received pretty low reviews from the critics on that one. Namely, the friends who came to my Free Comic Book Day party. *sigh*
Zines will happen in this town.

Rachel Lee-Carman said...

Zines will come to this town.

THEY WILL LOVE ME!

Leitmotiv said...

Yeah I "donated" my Cross Poly Nation zine to Pegasus back in 2004 I think. A few other places carried it too. I got one fan, and new of others that read my zine, but it was a paltry sum.

I almost made issue no. 2, but events in my life prevented that. Now I've abandoned making zines, because I am the editor of the Oregon Underground, a newsletter for the Oregon High Desert Grotto, a local caving club in town. It's much more rewarding for me too. Unfortunately, it probably could never be released to the general public because of the sensitive nature of caves. We have over 600 in Deschutes County.

Duncan McGeary said...

Yeah, I almost went with three people coming in with zines, but I couldn't quite remember, so I mentioned two.

There may have even been another one or two...actually, I just remembered another one. So....one a year for the last five years or so.

Still, not too many people in Bend are aware, especially in 2004!

blondbookpusher said...

You know a good thing when you see it Duncan. David Jasper is a self-confessed zine snob and he really liked it. Who wouldn't? Thanks for sticking with it Rachel.

Unknown said...

So...I have almost finished the first issue of a new zine...it's about life in Bend. Am I crazy? I didn't know about Rachel's zines at the time, I actually just picked up a copy of Show and Tell at Dudley's this weekend. I've been making zines since I was in middle school, but I have been on a zine hiatus for 10 years or so, since I moved to Bend actually. The time for Bend to embrace the zine culture is NOW!!!