Sunday, August 23, 2009

Or should it be, Dear Agent?

you know, for the inevitable bidding war.

What's the harm in trying? A couple of hundred pages of printing costs. Perhaps a blow to my ego.

I already have the material.

I would think it would need to be roughly chronological, with a few edits and transitions, to play out the overall theme of small business in a boom and bust.

I certainly have hundreds of pages of material I wrote in my business journal, before I started blogging.

I might need to hire Tim to edit the manuscript.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Jason said...

Will there be a book signing?

Broofa said...

Actually, I'm not sure chronological is the proper spin on this. What about a more topic centric-approach. A chapter on managing finances, another on how to interact with customers, another on inventory control, another on the impact of landlords and the city (e.g. the recent "bike race weekends").... that sort of thing. It might make it more approachable for the casual reader. A person picking up the book and looking at the table of contents will be able to quickly see things that are of interest to them.

And, of course, populate each chapter with examples from your blog and notes illustrating the various points.

My $.02.

Also, do you really want to split your earnings with an agent/publisher. Self-publishing as an e-book is another option that avoids a lot of the hassle and doubt. (Hmm... or maybe that's your last-resort option if/when you get turned down by publishers.)

Leitmotiv said...

I'm wondering if you still own your blogs. Once you post, does it then belong to Blogger?

Duncan McGeary said...

God god, I hope not!

Broofa said...

From the blogger.com Terms of Service (section 6):

"Google claims no ownership or control over any Content submitted, posted or displayed by you on or through Google services"