Monday, August 17, 2009

Better than dirt sandwich.

I have to admit, I was one of those who was skeptical about the Old Mill district. Now, I'm glad it's there. It's served as a safety valve for downtown, attracting the national chains (who need bigger, newer spaces with more parking). Hard to imagine now what Downtown Bend would be like if the Old Mill hadn't happened.

Then again, there might have been some fill-in south of the core, or along Greenwood and Franklin. But more likely, very few of the older buildings now standing -- such as the one my store is in -- would have survived the Franklin Crossing treatment. Just as few locals can afford the Old Mill, almost no locals could've afforded downtown. (Bad enough as it is...)

I was one of those who didn't have fond memories of the Old Mill: dirty, dusty, noisy, greasy, dangerous, smelly. I remember one time digging my toe into the 'soil' down there, and finding about 2 inches of oil.

It isn't the 'old' Bend, but the Old Mill is nicer than a pile of dirt.

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"But more likely, very few of the older buildings now standing -- such as the one my store is in -- would have survived the Franklin Crossing treatment."

Franklin Crossing is an oversized monstrosity and an architectural abomination that never should have been allowed downtown or anywhere NEAR it. That's just my humble opinion.