Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Customer Roll, Day Three.

I'm going to post one last day of this, but give you my conclusions here above, so you can skip reading it if you wish.

One thing that really leaps out at me is the sheer number of customers. When I did this for a few weeks back about 7 years ago, I had very different results. 80% of my sales back then were to regulars, even in the summer. I think the customer count was at least 35% less back then. I had nowhere near as many book and game sales.

Ironically, in the midst of a slowdown, my location has become almost central to downtown. The stores around me have become more retail. The parking garage and the restaurants and the new buildings all bring by more people.

So with my sales only being what I consider average -- or what I projected -- but with high customer counts, it means I'm making much less money per customer, but I have so many more customers that most of the shortfall is covered.

Much as I love regulars, and much as they are the 'base' of my business, I've always felt the more people who shop with you, the safer you are. My spread is very wide right now, which is healthy.

I've had years where sales were much higher, but one or two "Hot" product lines usually accounted for it. Thing about "Hot" products is they always cool Always.
Having a wide spread of 'lukewarm' product is much less risky.

It bodes well for the future, what with the new Hotel opening, and even more retail space available to the east of my store. It means a bit more interaction work with the consumer, which can be exhausting, but that's the price I pay.

And finally, if I may pat myself on the back: it wasn't necessarily obvious that this would happen. I sensed that I needed to expand my appeal to a wider range of people; especially since I was paying rent rates that reflected the higher foot traffic. A couple of competitors going out of business spurred me to add new books and boardgames. And the opening of the Bookmark provided me with all the used book material I could ever need.

Still, as I say, it wasn't obvious. It was good decision making, and I'm proud of that.

HOUR 1:

Wife and son of regular. Bought shelf. 1/10th average, right there. Wife bought four used Nora Roberts, for 1.00 each.

1 guy, 27, looking at new books. Bought Lullaby, Palahniuk and Sirens of Titan, Vonnegut.

1 guy, 20, looking for a graphic novel about X-Men, but so vague I can't puzzle it out. "I'll look at home," he says. LWB

1 guy, 20, looks to be friend of above guy. LWB

Dad and 2 kids, asked for a comic for 10 year old girl. Pointed them toward Bone. The daughter who was with him, "Yeah, that's really good." He left without buying. Um...why did he ask? (LWB Left without buying.)

Old regular, says, "I'm confused, you are always changing things..." Went over to comics. Asked for Stardust, "Because I saw the movie..." Showed him the novel and showed him the hardcover graphic novel, and he chose the prose.

Couple, directed them used books. Left without buying. LWB.

2 girls, 13, calling each other 'dorks' for coming in. Girl bought Elvis (black leather) standup.

1 guy, 75, looking at cartoon books. Wife, and kid. Looked a Muth's "M". Said a friend's likeness was used. Left without buying. LWB.

1 lady, 40, looking for children's series, Old Witch, Devlin. LWB

1 guy, 50, looking at books. Bought a used paperback, 6.00.

1 guy, 30, looking for "Art of War." LWB

1 guy, 60, buying two .50 books off sidewalk. Was 'aware' of used books section.

HOUR 2:

Mom and two kids, asking for maps. Gave them the cheap giveaway, and pointed them toward Bend Mapping. Dad and two more kids came. Foreign, German? Asked for R. Crumb books, showed them. LWB

1, guy and wife, asked for the "limited edition" magic set coming out, told him I'm getting all of two and they are already reserved for regulars. He bought a pack of 2010.

Guy asking for 'limited' magic set came back. I called my supplier and found out that -- I'm not getting any. But it did turn out I was getting a different limited set, and was offered over the phone one more at 20% higher. I asked the guy if he wanted to buy it, and he said yes. Half the normal margin, but an extra set already paid for. 70.00.

1 guy, a 'old' regular (regular I haven't seen for awhile...) Bought 4 regulars.

1 guy, 20, looking at new books. Asked for Joker books. Showed him my Batman section, and the graphic novel "Joker" which is closest to the movies. LWB

Couple, 1 kid, plus 1 guy. Looking for soft sleeves, which somebody bought me out of yesterday. Told them I'd have them back in on Friday. Sold two 1.00 boxes.

1, guy, 17, wandered around. LWB. Sunglasses and earpieces -- O.K. Leave him alone.

Couple, looking at books. asked for Razor's Edge, I've carried it new before, but didn't have it. LWB

Couple, looking at books. "This is a great store." "That means you're not going to buy anything...." gave him a big smile. LWB

1 guy, 70, LWB

1 guy, bought the new book, City of Thieves.

Couple, girl asked for Narnia, showed her my hardcover compilation. Guy asked for Arkham Asylum, because there is a new video game. Told him I'd have one by Thursday, and sold him the Joker G.N. the above guy turned down. heh.

1 guy, looking for Perfect Storm, found him a used copy. 4.00.

Couple, 70, looking for a Hitchhiker's Guide toy set, offered it to him for 50.00 bucks, time to move it. Said he'd come back. They almost never do. Looked at my retro space ships. LWB

Couple, looked around, asked for old Star Wars cards (which haven't been produced for about 10 years, now. LWB

HOUR 3,

2 kids, with box of books to sell. Sent them to Dudleys. LWB

1 guy, regular, leaving for Antartica, wanting Flash Gordon before he leaves....LWB

2 guys, 19, looking for Teen Titans. Bought a comic set,

1 regular, bought a comic.

1 regular, and daughter. LWB

1 guy, 20, LWB,

1 girl, 17, looking at manga. Made the 2, get the third one free offer. She wanted me to special order Inu Yasha's. LWB

1 mom, two kids. Looking at toys. LWB

1 lady, 60, looking for Axler series, used. Didn't have any. LWB

1 guy, 40, looking at sports cards. Bought 10.00 worth of supplies.

HOUR 4:

1 guy, off the street used books, 4.00

Couple, looking at art books. Powell's candy bags. LWB

2 girls, 16, looking at t-shirts, manga. Bought a Lenore graphic novel.

1 guy, 20, bought 6 packs magic.

Couple, 40, looking at books. Told me the Heavy Metal's made him feel 'young.' "Oh, you got old? No reason to leave them behind, you know." Ended up buy three new Gaiman books. Good Omens, Star Dust. Talked about how much we loved Jack Vance.

1 guy, foreign, looking for postcards. LWB

1 regular, bought 7 comics.

4 kids. Wrong part of the store, but they look to be leaving on their own. LWB

1 regular magic browser. Bought 3.00 worth and 1.00 used book.

1 regular,wanted a good S.F. Sold her Lord of Light.

HOUR 5.

1 regular, artist I haven't seen for awhile. Asked him if he was still doing art. LWB

Couple, 1 kid, looking at books. Bought new Moby Dick, 2 Grafton, used.

Dad and Mom, Granddad and 3 kids. Bought two Pokemon figures. Coraline, Deathnote 11, and Halo action figure.

1 guy, bought Beckett price guide.

1 regular book buyer. Went over the S.F. section. Sold him a Jack Vance, and two Poul Anderson.

1 girl, looking at new books. Was going to buy a new I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell; but sold her my used copy, instead. Is that a good thing or a bad thing for me?

Couple, told them about books. LWB

1 guy, 50, just cruisin... Wanted Iron Man statue, which I sold when movie came out. LWB

Couple, looking for a frisbee. LWB

93 People in so far.

HOUR 6:

1 girl, 25, LWB

1 guy, 60, looking for Some Came Running, didn't know the author, but knew it was by the author of From Here to Eternity, and I knew that was James Jones. Not in print. LWB

1 guy, 60, wandered store and LWB.

Couple, sent them to the books. Bought two used books.

Couple, looking at cards, posters, the Dude, Munchkin -- aimless, I do believe. LWB

2 guys, looking at magic. Bought 7 packs.

1 guy, 70, bought 3 .50 books.

Couple, looking at art books.

1 guy, 25, looking at graphic novels.

1 regular, books and comics. Gave him a couple of free books for going to bank for me.

1 lady, 60, wanted "mystery/romance"; asked her the author, and she didn't remember. Showed her "romantic suspense". Then she said Harlequin and I don't really carry Harlequin....

Couple, wanted Geology of Central Oregon Roadside book, and told them I didn't have it. They asked where to go, I gave them directions to all the other bookstores. But told them they might be best served going to the High Desert Museum bookstore. Used local interest books NEVER last past the first person who sees them.

2 ladies and a girl. Girl brought in .50 used book, and they went to look at the other books. Wandered into the comics....Offered them an 8.50 book for 5.00, turned me down.

1 guy, 16, looking for manga. Asked what the manga deal was. Paranoid about his bike. Told me he rode all the way from Redmond. Bought one manga.

1, girl, 20, bought Final Fantasy Art Book and Ask a Ninja; handbook. I think that put us to our average. Lot of people to get to the average....

CONCLUSIONS:

115 people. Not quite average.

Very busy to do under average. Not a lot of comic people show up on Mondays and Tuesdays; pretty much depends on tourists and casual customers.

I was doing my first September orders while this was going on, so that may seem like it seemed so much busier than the actual total reflects.

I've worked out I think a pretty good budget for September. The only difference between what I originally intended, is I added 500.00 to my new book budget.

I wasn't able to do the book orders today, so I'll do those tomorrow.

1 comment:

H. Bruce Miller said...

A little constructive criticism, Dunc: The hour-by-hour accounts of your business are BORRRRRRrrrring!

Might help if you threw a nice titty picture in there occasionally the way Homer does.