Friday, August 1, 2008

Books into movies if I had a billion dollars.

Had a customer in yesterday who asked what comics I thought would make good movies.

I'm still cogitating on that, but I found myself thinking instead of books that I think would make great movies. At least, I can totally visualize them in my mind. I think they would be both thoughtful and exciting.

They're all well known books and/or authors, so chances are that they've been optioned already...

Tunnel in the Sky, by Robert Heinlein. My favorite S.F. book as a kid. A survival class is left on a planet, and then lost. They have to survive and create their own culture.

The War Hound and the World's Pain, by Micheal Moorcock. A mercenary during the 30 Years War is approached by the devil to find the Holy Grail, so that he might reconcile with god.

Canticle for Liebowitz, Walter M. Miller. A monk in a post-apocalyptic landscape stumbles the remains of a bomb shelter of a 'Liebowitz' along with the strange and wonderful artifacts, such as a grocery list; and a new Catholic Order is created, with unexpected ramifications.

Armor, by John Steakley. A "Shane" in space, this time with Shane's early history included. Incredibly satisfying book, much like the Postman was before Costner got ahold of it.

All these books would be great movies, especially if they were followed closely.

1 comment:

tim said...

Earth Abides would make a good movie.