Monday, June 3, 2024

Trying to make the best store possible.

I moved eight very large bookcases last night. Turns out, I could maneuver them still almost full of books. A bit of levering and scooting them, and I created the six inches I needed. Took out the poster rack and one of the metal display cases. There should now be enough room for the customers to move around the new bookcases easily. 

(I do realize what I'm saying is hard to visualize. I lack the proper terminology.)

I laid out a four-foot by two-foot table to see how much room it would take up. 

One thing I hadn't considered was that one of the bookcases was hiding all the wires to our computers and such. Because of that, I took the bookcase that faced the door and moved it over the wires. I lost about 6" of space, but that's better than the 11" of space I would have lost with one of the new bookcases, which I had ruled out.

I think it will all fit, and because I was able to keep one of the existing bookcases, we're going to have a increased capacity of 2.75 bookcases, instead of the 1.75 bookcases I thought I was going to have.

We're talking inches, here.

The 3/4 sized bookcase can't be fitted in without moving four bookcases exactly one inch to the left. One inch. I couldn't quite do that last night, so I'll attempt it on Tuesday night. 

And then all I'm waiting for is the new bookcases (four in all, plus a foundation table), which Linda and I are going attempt to put together ourselves. 

We are also awaiting a huge avalanche of books, probably quadruple the normal number for a week. Part of the reason is that I was saving up for the new program Penguin Random House offered, which didn't start until the first of June, and then there is the fact that I can pay for the bulk of the product at the end of summer.

It's a bit of a chance, but also one that can by redeemed by returns, if need be. I'll be out of pocket in the short run, but it should pan out in the long run. 

I'm creating more display space and storage space. Instead of ordering one "Just-in-time" copy of a title, I'm ordering multiple copies so that I don't run out of them in the heat of summer. 

That's the plan anyway.

Why am I doing this when everything was going so well? 

My goal from the start has been to make the best store possible, and I still feel that way. 

And, well, it's just fun to see if I can make something work.

No comments: