Monday, June 10, 2024

Final touches?

Well, I showed up for work yesterday and whatever event they were having on Bond on Saturday, was gone. But all the parking spots were being used, so I just went ahead and parked near Hospital Hill. After work, I took a couple trips around the block, finally inserted the car in a space not quite big enough, moved the fixtures onto the sidewalk, parked the car in the garage, and then pulled the fixtures into the store. 

Spent a couple hours putting everything in place. I'd managed to already push the bookshelves an inch away during store hours. I also managed to put in place the game books shelf and find a place for the toys somewhere else. 

I'm very seriously considering moving the front counter about eight inches to the west. That should give us plenty of room, maybe even to put the side bookcase back up. If I do it, I'm just going to do it. I'm undecided about using the cubes on the center bookcases. They would overlap the base by about three inches. I can use three of the cubes under the counter for storage. 

My measuring was all wrong. I think I translated the 48" by 24" of the card table into the base, when it was actually 40" by 28". The old story of measure twice. I sometimes don't measure even once. I'm just not good at carpentry, but if I take it slow and steady, don't get upset and just reverse the errors or try to jury rig them, I can get it done. 

All's well, that ends well. Everything is done but the cubes and putting the Rom-Com books in order. Tomorrow is the big day on new books. I figure we'll get about 500 books, which is about three times what a normal big order would be.

What I think will happen is: it will appear hopeless, but I'll adjust a little here, move a few things there, take out a few things, stack a few things, and so on. Over the course of a few weeks, I can get things functional. Then try to figure out what kind of flow I can handle. 

I have faith.

No comments: