Friday, May 23, 2014

Writing Interruptus.

One thing I've avoided since I started writing again is interrupting the first draft of a book.   I was always afraid I would forget how the book was supposed to proceed, lose the thread, as it were.

But only 30% of the way into Ghostlander, I came up on a time constraint that I couldn't ignore.  My editor(s) were done with Linda's book and it was time for them to look at one of my books, and I decided that The Dead Spend No Gold needed more seasoning and that I'd give them Faerylander instead.

Then, foolishly, I thought I could toss something off in a week or two, got 2/3rds of the way through and realized the book wasn't working, and sent the editors The Dead Spend No Gold after all.  (After reading it at writer's group I realized is was pretty good.)

Then I tussled with Faerylander for another week, and finally gave up.

As so often happens, giving up somehow gave me the key.  I had a couple of insights that made the book viable, and so I set out to put those in place.

It turned into a very intense rewriting session that resulted in a version of Faerylander that I am finally happy with...

So Ghostlander was abandoned about a month ago.

Now I have to go back and try to put myself in the same space I was in.

I guess I'll find out if that is possible...

No comments: