Monday, May 5, 2014

The Ambitious Plot.

I'm 22 thousand words into Ghostlander.  It was time to really start thinking about the plot.

Up to now I've introduced the characters and the hauntings -- which I was going to have to do no matter what plot I came up with.

So I started thinking about solutions last night, and Oh, Boy.

I've gone from almost no plot to a very complicated and ambitious plot.  One that is going to require some tricky themes and emotions.  Some depth.

It may be beyond my abilities to pull off, but I've written enough books by now that I think I should probably try to stretch myself.  Even more, I should put the trust in my subconscious to bring it all home.

One thing is for sure -- it isn't being written by any "formula."  It may turn out to be a mess.

But what's the point of writing if you don't follow your muse?  The chances of success are so minimal anyway, I might as well do what I want to do.  I've tried to learn the basics of writing.  I've got a lot of words under my belt.  So I think I can venture away from the beaten path a little.  See where it leads.

No comments: