Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Plot parallels.

I took the first two chapters of The Dead Spend No Gold to writers group and it seemed to pass muster.

I added a prologue that I think starts the book off in a much more intriguing way.  It was written pretty choppy, so I worked on it yesterday and smoothed it out.

It is very parallel to the first chapter of Led to the Slaughter, which is interesting.

Also parallel to the first book, I've gotten to a point in the book where I'm struggling for a method to show a series of events.  Basically, I'm in the "Lost Patrol" segment of the book where I always intended to be, but now that I'm here, it seems like it is going to be tough to keep it interesting.

Just like in Led to the Slaughter, once I got them to the mountains and they started to freeze and starve, this book has them being picked off one by one.  It is more of a horizontal plot, rather than a vertical plot, and I'm not sure how to pull it off.

With the first book, I resorted to a series of journal entries, and that worked very well.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing here -- but it is 2/3rds of the way through a 3rd person book with multiple viewpoints, so I'm not sure how suddenly transitioning to 1st person journals would work. 

I'm going to try it,  because it does seem like the perfect solution.  Just hope the reader goes along with it.

No comments: