Monday, March 10, 2014

Cosmos and other media blips.

As I mentioned last night, I watched Cosmos.  I felt like it spent too much time trying to wow us with visual effects, and not enough on text.  More fluff than content.  I hate how that is the modern model.

I know everyone is going wild for it -- and I'm glad it exists.  But I was disappointed.

Plus it had the unusual effect on me of making me feel small and unimportant -- which I don't think was the intended message.

I wonder if the old Cosmos is still available?  I loved that show.

*****

I don't know if I'll make it through the day before some teaser headline or another gives away the ending of True Detective.  I don't need much of a hint, because my brain just works that way.

And it seems to be working that way even more since I've been writing.  Both Linda and I are figuring out TV plots way more often and way sooner than before.

*****

Speaking of True Detective.  I noticed that many copies of The King in Yellow are available on ebooks.  (I'm assuming it is legal domain now.)  I remember picking this book up 40 years ago and thinking it was a little too gothic and old-fashioned for my taste at the time.

Weird it should become a best-seller after all these years...

*****

Went to see Frozen.  I have to admit, I kind of squirmed at how "cute" it was.  I mean, I really didn't want to roll my eyes, but couldn't help it.

But I don't think that movie was made for me, what?

It was a very uplifting movie though, and Linda and I came out of it feeling good.  We've been to less movies since we've been writing.

*****

Watched a South African movie called Stander.  Did you know that Thomas Jane can act?  No?  Me neither.  But he can.

*****

No comments: