Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cobbling a chapter.

Yesterday I cobbled together a chapter.

Maybe a better word is -- I 'crafted' together a chapter.  It was a transitional kind of chapter.  I moved some characters from point A to point B.  It's like one of those scenes where they're talking in the car, or in the restaurant.  That kind of thing.

It is easier to write action chapters.  But not every chapter can or should be filled with actions.

So I put in some explication of backstory, some description, but most of all dialogue between the characters.  Character development.  The relationships between them.

Oh, and foreshadowing.  Some of that.

It took all day.  Just a snippet here, a snippet there.  Whenever I think I'm wasting entire days, I just have to remember that it is sometimes necessary.  That these things don't get written otherwise.  I need that hour between 10 minutes of writing.  That two hours of waiting for the next line of dialogue.  I need the morning without anything happening so I can spend the afternoon on writing.

I'm thankful I have the time.  I really need to get over that feeling that I'm wasting it.


No comments: