Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Typewriters were barbaric.

Typewriters were medieval torture machines, right up there with the iron maiden and the rack.

I'm at 40 thousand words in the rewrite of Sometimes a Dragon.  So I can almost see the top of the mountain from here.

This rewrite is a cold hard struggle.

I never want to have to do this again, frankly.  I'd better utilize my time by writing a new book.

Then again, I can't imagine that it will ever be this hard again, because every single book from now on will be digital, so I can go in and change what I need without having to type the entire book.

Put another way, it's hard to imagine now how hard it was to rewrite a book in the old days.  Now I can tinker forever without starting over, but back then I would have had to retype the whole manuscript if I made any major changes.  Let me shout that out:

I WOULD HAVE TO RETYPE THE WHOLE BOOK IF I MADE ANY CHANGES!!!

Barbaric.

Meanwhile, there has been one advantage from having to retype the whole book from beginning to end, but it doesn't come near to outweighing the disadvantages.

Writing it from beginning to end like this,  I'm finding that the continuity is a little clearer, which wouldn't  happen if I was just dipping into a digital version.

Still...no comparison.

Torture versus inconvenience.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

But... but typewriters are COOL! ;)
All word processing applications should have the option to make typewriter sounds as you write. Best of both worlds. Problem solved.

Duncan McGeary said...

Cool in theory -- torture in practice.

Best of all worlds -- a fountain pen, clean white paper and an assistant to type up all your scribbles...

Unknown said...

He speaks the truth.