Saturday, March 9, 2013

Do the easy, skip the hard.

I've mentioned before that I seem to have two modes of writing.

The first is like STAR AXE, which took 5 years and innumerable versions before I finally had a finished manuscript. 

The other is like SNOWCASTLES and ICETOWERS which came relatively easy and were more or less complete when I finished the first draft, with a few copy-edits.

NEARLY HUMAN, DEVILTREE, and SOMETIMES A DRAGON are like the first mode; FREEDY FILKINS, DEATH OF AN IMMORTAL, and THE RELUCTANT WIZARD are like the latter mode.

Obviously, I prefer the latter.

What I've decided, if I'm going to be so damned prolific, is to not do the first kind of book again, unless there is just something so valuable in the idea that it simply must be done.

Drop it.  Go to the second kind of book. 

I'm going to finish the books that are in the backlog right now.  I've already done lots of work on them, so I may as well finish.  These books often have a bit more density than the easy books, I'll admit that.  But my theory is that the more easy books I write, the more density they'll have.

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm still working out the best way to write.

I've come to realize recently that one of my problems is that I have always felt I could "fix" things in the rewrite. Which is a bit of a crutch and an excuse.

Because most of the strength of the writing and story comes from that initial process -- and can't be supplied later. I can play around with words, but it's very hard to get the sense of emotion and character I have at first.

So it's more important to try to get it right in the first place -- which means not "forcing" it, but waiting until I've thought it out and the words flow.

Not the same thing as waiting for inspiration, which may or may not come. But more knowing when it's working and when it isn't.