Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I just HAVE to write a fantasy trilogy.

If you have a world that feels good to you, then that's the world you should write.  It's more important than that the plot works, or the characters are consistent, or the themes make sense, or the writing is any good.

The 'feel good' is what keeps you in that world, makes you want to make that world come alive -- so all the rest will follow.

I think I finally know what I'm trying to do with Sometimes a Dragon.  I've discovered the themes, I've streamlined the plot, I have more of an idea of the backstory, I know who the characters are.

It's a mess, but I like this world.  So I'm willing to keep going back.

At this point, I'm hoping that I'm in more of the incremental improvement phase.  I don't mean that to sound trivial, because incremental improvements really add up, as long as you keep at it.

This whole typing the book into digital has streamlined the story, made it clearer to me.  There may be major changes yet to make, but I do have an overall sense of what I'm trying to do now.

It's been work -- still is work, because I have a third of the book still to type -- but I feel like this is a book worth saving.  It's been my favorite book all along.

I have no idea if it works.  I've lost sight of that.

I just know I like this world and these characters, so I want to keep dabbling with it until I get it right.



But I do think, when I've got this version down, I'm going to quit working on it for awhile and move on to other things.

The second book of the Lore series is calling me.

My trilogy.  I just have to have a fantasy trilogy.  It's just something I have to do.

No comments: