Saturday, November 10, 2012

Otherwise, why do it?

I was reading another Ode to the Demise of the Book, and wondering if I'm just kidding myself.

So let's do some math.

I looked at booksales (new and used) between Nov. 2006 thru Oct. 2007 and then every 12 month period thereafter.

Pegasus Books first started carrying "new" books in mid - 2006,  just before the crash.

First of all, we've seen a 40% increase in sales over 5 years.

We saw roughly 15% increases in each of the first two years.

Then had very incremental increases over the next two years.

Over the last year, we've seen a 20% increase.


Of course, as I always try to say, sales aren't as important as profits.  But I've been able to order books when I need them, and they've never been much of a cash-flow problem (unlike dated material, such as comics and cards, which I have to order in advance, whether sales at the time they arrive are good or not.)  The mix of new and used books, makes the profit margin pretty good.

I had been under the impression that we've had steady increases in sales -- witness the 40% increase overall.

So the two static years, Nov. 2009 thru Oct. 2011, are a bit of a surprise.

What I don't know is what would happen if I went all in.  I've been tempted, let me tell you.  My feeling is there is an opportunity for growth, despite all the doom and gloom, and the 20% increase over the last year is certainly encouraging.

There's a possibility that I may completely renovate the store from top to bottom early next year, though this still has to be negotiated.  If I do it, I'll be buying new fixtures that will make better use of the space, and probably concentrate on printed material. 

So I'll be putting my money where my  mouth is.

I'm relatively certain I can increase my sales on books -- but whether I can get back the investment costs on fixtures and the cost of renovating before I retire, that's a separate question.  

Probably a stupid financial decision, but a gratifying one.

I kind of want my business to be gratifying.  It pretty much always has been, because I allow myself this latitude.

Otherwise, why do it?

No comments: