Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fixing by cutting.

I was struggling with a chapter, and I decided to cut about 60% of it.

It can be a daunting thing, to cut your own words.  Before you do it, you're pretty sure you'll feel a sense of loss.

But then you do it, and it feels very liberating, somehow.  You've just fixed the problem in the most elegant of ways -- eliminating it altogether.

Chances are, if nothing you're doing can fix it, it probably shouldn't be there.  This realization can be a long time coming.

If you have parts of the book that feel right to you, and parts that don't -- what happens if you just keep the parts that feel right?  Do you still have a book?  If so, then you should cut.

Makes me wish I was one of those people who overwrite the first time, instead of the kind of writer who has to fill it all in later.


Plowed through a bunch of chapters.  Also drank some beer and wine. (leftovers, argggh.)   Almost finished.

You know what?  I like it.  It's a decent book.

I just want to be patient enough to try to make it better.

I've created another "reading" copy, where all the elements are in place, and now I need to refine it.
However, leaving myself open to changes probably means there will be changes.

I still have a couple of problem chapters, including the original first chapter -- the chapter that propelled me into writing the book.  Now, the original tone doesn't quite fit.  I'm not sure how much to change it, actually.  It's not completely out of place, just slightly tonally off.  On the other hand, it's got some charm that might pull some people further into the book.  Undecided.

After I'm done with this draft, I'm setting it aside for a month or two, and give myself a chance to come back fresh.


No comments: