Friday, September 21, 2012

(John) Calvin and (Thomas) Hobbes.

So both H. Bruce and Jim in Sisters were taking me to task yesterday, for letting my inner Calvinist out, when I talked about feeling guilty taking so much time writing.

I've decided they're right.  What I really need to do is let my inner CALVIN AND HOBBES out.

Um.

NOT this Calvin:

"You must submit to supreme suffering in order to discover the completion of joy."

John Calvin. 
 
I'm talking this Calvin:

"It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy…Let’s go exploring!"


NOT this Hobbes:

"...the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Thomas Hobbes.

I'm talking this Hobbes:   

"Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them."


Interesting.  Calvin.  And Hobbes.  Not a couple of fun guys.  I don't know if I understood the true full irony of Bill Watterson's strip until now.


 Finally, a little out of place but so apropos I can't resist, The Big Picture had a Bette Davis quote yesterday which spoke to me

"To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to sweat over lonely labor, to be given a chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy."

Bette Davis. 

That's it.  Never again will you read something with John Calvin, Thomas Hobbes and Bette Davis all quoted on the same page.  

And a tiger. 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Shes got John Calvin eyes..."

Nah. Doesn't work.

Enjoyed the post.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant post, Duncan. I love C&H and never saw them before in this context.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Great stuff, Dunc. Hope you take your own advice to heart.