Thursday, September 6, 2012

I take it back; conventions aren't a waste of time.

I've mentioned I think the conventions are a waste of time.

Well, I may have to backtrack on that.

After reading a ton of compliments to Clinton's speech, Linda and I Youtubed it and watched the whole thing.

I thought it was more a prosecutor's presentation at court than a speech. A point by point dismantling of the Republican agenda. This is the kind of speech we would make in high school debate -- point by point refutation of the opponents argument. Elementary. I was wondering why no one does this anymore.

Though coming from anyone else it would have probably seemed pedantic and rambling.

But every word counted -- even the folk-isms that he prefaced his biting remarks with. When he attacked, he seemed conciliatory. When he defended, he seemed to be on the offense.

Takes some brass.

I watched the conservative commentators for a few minutes -- but they apparently saw a different speech. Where I saw Clinton bow respectfully to Obama, they saw Clinton taking a bow. (heh, fair enough...)

Anyway, as much as I loved the speech, I don't think it isn't something that Obama could do, or a thousand other politicians.

But why bother, in most cases? The media is only going to pick 20 seconds of any speech for broadcast. The more any politician veers from the safe and tidy, already vetted, innocuous remarks, the more trouble he or she can get into to.

So the national conventions do still have a role. If they can get people to sit down and listen to a nicely reasoned, common sense speech for 48 minutes, more power to them.

2 comments:

Sue Mc said...

Hi Dunc. I didn't watch the rest of the convention or the Republican one but I did listen to Clinton's speech and had exactly the same reaction - you put it very well. He seems to be the only politician I can listen to without hating the tone of their voice - he has that knack of sounding real. People I know who have met Clinton say that he has amazing charisma in person - if he walks into a room, you can feel the ripple of people responding to it. Ta!

H. Bruce Miller said...

The art of political oratory is almost dead, thanks to the short attention spans of Americans who have been conditioned to be entertained at every moment.