Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday thunks.

This is the first year in a long time that I think the Star Wars franchise didn't play a big role at Christmas.

It'll come around again, I have no fear.

The 3-D movies are coming.

***********

Best way to watch a football game. DVR, then fast forward all the huddles and time-outs. You don't miss anything but lame commentary, and the game goes whizzing by....

**********

Peace and quiet is probably not something any storekeeper should ever wish for -- but it's kind of nice to come to a quiet and peaceful store after the holiday rush.

**********

I ordered 219 copies of Batgirl #5, instead of the 19 or 21 copies I thought I was ordering.

I think I can return them, but they make it a little difficult, so I'm not looking forward to it. On the other hand, having 600.00 (retail) of extra Batgirls isn't my idea of fun, either.

**********

I'm going to dive into writing tomorrow, and not re-emerge until I've finished the second draft. I've warned Linda I'll be distracted. That I may skip a lot of T.V. shows, and so on. I took most of December off, which was dangerous, but I don't think I had much choice.

So a whole lot of these blog entries will probably be about writing for awhile.

***********

Finally, I think I'll just say I don't know what to think about the "privatization" of the county public works.

It feels like a bad idea. Rife with the possibilities of corruption.

My general sense is to ask -- is this with 'standard practices' for local government? I would think we'd be best off, usually, doing what the general tradition is. (I know, this sounds funny from a guy who tends to reject 'standard practices' when it comes to small business -- but if I'm wrong, it only hurts me.)

I'll leave this discussion open for those who know more about this than me.

7 comments:

RDC said...

Standard practices for local governments tend to vary widely by the local government. Some do almost everything themselves including owning utility companies. Others do not.

Pretty wide variation.

Duncan McGeary said...

They mention that they had a hard time getting private companies to do the work during the boom.

My general experience in business is -- if you can't get people to do the work when you need them, it's a bad idea to hire them when they need you.

They've already shown their true colors.

Duncan McGeary said...

Yes, you can take advantage of their weakness -- except they have a propensity to come back and bite you. (It's not like they're happy doing the work for cheap...)

I say, deal with me the level, good times or bad, and I will continue a relationship with you. I've weeded out many suppliers over the years, because they play these kinds of games. I've got rock solid relationships with a few suppliers because they've proven they won't mess with me.

Short term gains are just not worth the danger.

Bewert said...

Been awhile. News on the BULL BK:

http://www.cascadebusnews.com/news-pages/e-headlines/1746-western-communications-inc-parent-company-of-the-bulletin-and-the-redmond-spokesman-bankruptcy-hearing-set-for-january-10-in-us-bankruptcy-court-portland

As for the privatization of municipal, there is basically no competition after the initial bid process, and no competition and greasing staff leads to higher costs because for-profit companies have to add a profit onto the costs. Unlike the municipality itself, which is basically a non-profit. Or worse ;)\\

On a sidenote, it's interesting to see Patty Stell has retired from the City. We had several "discussions" over what exactly falls under the veil of an Executive Session back in the day

Good luck out there.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Best way to watch a football game. DVR, then fast forward all the huddles and time-outs. You don't miss anything but lame commentary, and the game goes whizzing by...."

I prefer to watch games in real time, but usually mute the sound or turn it down very low. The incessant chatter of the commentators really is annoying.

"Finally, I think I'll just say I don't know what to think about the "privatization" of the county public works. It feels like a bad idea. Rife with the possibilities of corruption."

It smells kinda bad already, with people representing companies that are likely to benefit from privatization sitting on the committee that recommended privatization. Todd Taylor was chairman of the committee, fer crap's sake!

In my experience, many Central Oregonians are extremely vague about the whole "conflict of interest" concept.

H. Bruce Miller said...

This doesn't relate to anything in your post, but did you see the story about Barnes & Noble considering spinning off its Nook and e-book division? Thoughts?

Duncan McGeary said...

Yeah, and the fact that nobody seemed to notice or comment on Taylor's involvement was kind of alarming.

Like it's expected.