Friday, January 13, 2012

Love the book, hate the writer.

I'm really having trouble with Stephen Hunter. I love his books. He's a terrific storyteller. Addictive, propulsive action.

And he's a ginormous asshole.

He first offended me in his opinions of the pop culture trends that are my very break and butter -- and my first love. Science fiction and comics -- he pretty much dissed them on a regular basis as the film reviewer for The Washington Post.

O.K. I could overlook that. He's just ignorant.

But not...his last three books have gotten progressively more loony tune right wing batshit crazy. The book I'm reading now is so offensive, I can barely overlook it the bullshit.

The story is great, and then he'll do some transparently offensive caricature of Obama-- or any other liberal-- that I have to gulp and keep reading.

It's funny when you see people go off the rails. I'm guessing he started watching Fox News or listening to right wing radio. Ugh.

If only he wasn't such a good writer! It didn't matter to me that Clancy was a simply minded twit, because he is also a lousy writer.

I think this may be the last Hunter book I read. I can't get over his self-righteous smugness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even ardent fans are sick of Hunter, feeling he's writing for a paycheck and to grind his ax. These are people who are not necessarily unsympathetic to his politics.

When characters become total caricatures, it's time to get off the bus. He jumped the shark with Havana.

Jim Cornelius
www.frontierpartisans.com

Duncan McGeary said...

Where are you hearing this?

I'm still enjoying his books, though the first 5 or so were by far the best.

Time to check out your site again!