Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"We've always lost a day, and we always want to lose a day...."

I understand that other people think differently than me, but I'm always a little surprised when my peers in the industry think so differently.

To me, much of of what we should do and not do seems obvious. It seems like we should all be on the same page.

The proposal to deliver comics on Monday, for Tuesday sales, seems like a complete no brainer. So I've been astonished and discouraged by the response.

My peers seem to be against it. At least, enough of the vocal ones to muddy the waters.

Tuesdays are a dead day for comics. I just don't sell any. I get comics in around noon on Wednesday, and it takes me until 2:00 to put them out for sale, so another half a day gone.
So being able to get the comics ready a day early, look for shortages, make reorders, seems absolutely perfect. Then, to have comics out early Tuesday morning adds a selling day (and a half) to the week.

Not to mention saving on the stress of having to do it under pressure, and making mistakes.

Mondays have always been good, I suppose because it's the start of the week.

The arguments against are mostly ridiculous: Such as, "We would compete with the other Tuesday releases; movies, music, games, etc."

To which I answer: So ? -- We are already competing, but we've given our customers a full day head start to blow their paycheck on the competing product. And -- do you suppose the other industries who are so much bigger and more lucrative than us know something about the best day to introduce new product.

But most of the arguments against Tuesday delivery boiled down to this: it's a change, and we don't like change.

"But we've trained all our customers to come in on Wednesday!"

So? -- Train them to come in on Tuesday! The beauty of this is that they can still come in on Wednesday if they please, AND they can come in on Tuesday.

Anyway, I'm mystified by the response, discouraged by the traction it's gotten, and afraid that Diamond is just going to throw up its hands and say: "O.K. Have it your way. Wednesday delivery it is."

No comments: