Monday, June 14, 2010

Shortly popping.

New York Times headline:

"Study Says Math Deficiencies Increase Foreclosures Risk."

"...borrowers with poor math skills were three times more likely than others to go into foreclosure..."

That's just.....funny. Or sad. Or something.

**********

So it's sinking in. With the oil spill.

We're just fucked.....

See what happens with pretend and extend? Sometimes there is no easy solution. Sometimes it just has to play out. Sometimes you have to pay the piper.

**********

I've been predicting for awhile now that the city of Bend would try to offload the BAT on someone else -- though why anyone else would take on the money drainer is a good question. Perhaps they could find ways to integrate the government subsidies? Whatever.

I suspect that they want to unload this white elephant so that the responsibility -- and the blame -- will be someone elses. Whoever takes it on can do the same thing -- it was the fault of the 'other' guy-- and thus it gets perpetuated. And if it eventually fails, the responsibily is so muddy by then, that everyone walks away without blame.

I predict the same thing with Juniper Ridge; that the city of Bend will sell it for a pittance to raise cash. I wonder if they wouldn't be better off holding onto it for now, and mothballing it. But...a steady loss may be too much pressure.

It's a bit like a corporation spinning off a money losing division -- and dumping as many debts as possibly on the poor thing, which is destined to fail. Or, the big banks spinning off the toxic assets on the American public. Even if it's legal, it ethically bankrupt.

**********

Speaking of ethically bankrupt, there was an article in today's Bulletin about a "California Ponzi scheme" and this quote leapt out at me: "...Irving, who lost $1.7 million in Heckschert's Ponzi scheme. 'But I still love the guy.'"

WTF?

It doesn't seem to matter whether a charming con man fleeces these fools of small amounts or large amounts. The victims seem almost complicit to me, in their lack of responsibility or rational thought.

Like I said, I've had competitors (years ago) who were charmers and at the same time ethically dubious, and I got back the same, "Oh, I like him."

I wonder if it's a complete lack of self-esteem. "He likes me and treats me good, so it's O.K. that he totally stripped me of my savings...."

**********

Speaking of lack of self-esteem. I watched the end of the Tony Awards last night, and it seems like Broadway is sucking up to Hollywood. I mean, one big star winning; Denzel Washington, Scarlett Johansson, or Zeta-Jones, I could believe; but all three? And notice how often the English actors win. Just saying, I wonder if they're cynically trying to boost box office, or theres a bit of insecurity there.

**********

More drizzly weather? I don't care what Black Dog says, this is more than normal. But...it gives me a few more cool days to get my gardening done. (One thing about gardening -- I go to bed all itchy and scratchy and feeling like there are bugs -- yuck.) My beard and hair are so long, they tickle. Tickled and scratchy -- makes it hard to sleep.

6 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"More drizzly weather? I don't care what Black Dog says, this is more than normal."

It is MORE drizzly than normal ...

... BUT ...

... drizzly weather in Bend in June is not abnormal.

However, since the Portland Frickin' Rose Festival is finally over, we should get into our summer weather pattern now.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Re Juniper Ridge: As soon as the city fired Kuratek and Holzman I knew that eventually they'd sell it to a private developer, or developers, and take a beating. Likewise for the old Bulletin site at Wall and Olney.

Given its track record, the City of Bend should never buy real estate unless it's absolutely, positively, unavoidably necessary. And probably not even then.

Mrs Sally Heatherton Esq said...

hey gringo bitches

Bend is fucked (TM)

Time to fucking cover your ass.

Even dunc's site has nobody to comment anymore, ... even the fucking fence sitters, have run out of mouth fuel.

This is what Bend has become. A Big Zero. Good news is you have seen nothing yet.

Mrs Sally Heatherton Esq said...

We're not fucked Dunc, this oil spill is what will recover Bend. That pollution will wind around Florida, and head up to Maine, and then move inland, and the entire Atlantic USA coast will become sterilized, ... everything a wasteland, folks will move west. Bender's just need to keep their fingers up their arse and wait.

Good times are coming.

Duncan McGeary said...

So Linda says, the reason people go for the "I like him" excuse is that it makes them feel better about being conned.

I would have thought it would be the opposite, ("Bastard Conned Me!!) but I suspect she's right.

Anonymous said...

"...borrowers with poor math skills were three times more likely than others to go into foreclosure..."

I hate this type of research, because it's probably just a correlation (incidental association) as opposed to a direct causation. There's something more fundamental going on. OK, so people with great math skills would probably be less likely to get foreclosed upon, but that's probably because they have a better job in the first place.