Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Twilight of the Twilight.

I've been thinking about crossover hits, and how each of them represent an entire subculture. They're the tip of the iceberg.

Had a couple of Mom's and kids in, and one mother picked up an Ugly Doll and started explaining it to her friend. In return, the other mother picked up a BONE graphic novel and explained it.

Both of these represent a huge world; and each are barely peeking over the waters.

BONE has sold in the millions to schools and libraries. Ugly Dolls are being sold everywhere.

Meanwhile, there are dozens of great graphic novels for kids that the public has never heard of. Meanwhile there are thousands of designer toys, (urban vinyl, whatever you want to call them.) A whole movement that people don't realize exists, but which Ugly Dolls once represented.

I suppose, if look at other categories, there are the obvious Spider-mans and Batmans in comics. These are so mainstream, that calling them crossovers doesn't fit.

But if you go down a level in familiarity, titles like Green Lantern or Flash or Thor or Captain American, are the type of nearly crossover hits that some of the general public has heard of, and some haven't. (For instance, if I wear my Green Lantern symbol shirt, most people don't know what it is, but quite a few do. Whereas, everyone would recognize a Batman or Superman symbol.)

Believe it or not, Iron Man was once considered a secondary level that the public probably wouldn't be interested in. It's success has probably given the green light, if you will, to Green Lantern type movies.

Watchmen used to be the epitome of a crossover title, but has now become so well known that it joins the rest of the pantheon -- Hulk, Daredevil, X-Men.

The near crossovers right now would be, Scott Pilgrim and Walking Dead.

In games, Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are nearly there-- and again represent an entire movement.

In toys for adult boys, the crossover used to be Spawn figures. (Sadly, these have fallen off...not sure why they are being so neglected by McFarlane).

In fantasy art, it's Vallejos and especially Frazetta.

I suppose I should be happy that we have these crossover hits. In the past, they didn't exist. Then again, in the past some of these entire movements didn't exist (Euro boardgames, Urban Vinyl).

I suspect I should also be happy that none of these movements -- graphic novels, euro games, designer toys, etc. are so big that the mass market adopts them lock, stock and barrel.

At least, so far.

Sometimes I think I have a crossover hit, and I totally miss it. I ordered 30 copies of the Twilight Graphic novel, which was crazy. It was like a pitcher throwing the ball and hitting the mascot; a totally wild pitch. After all these years, I still make lulu's like this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Completely agree. For every time I send someone to your store to pick up a Star Wars title or something related to a television or movie it is sometimes hard to come up with the follow up but I try to go along the baseline of they liked this and I read this which is kinda like that...lets see if they want to give that a try. This is how I got Jasper into comics...Free Comic Book Day and Legacy were the start but then I started suggesting other Star Wars titles. Now he knows what he likes and runs after it. I swear the industry owes me so much money.