Friday, December 11, 2009

NIghtmares of out-of-control.

Ever woken up from a series of nightmares and the feeling continues to permeate the morning?

I had my first nightmare of an out-of-control bookstore -- three stories, books everywhere, junk everywhere, employees ignoring it all. Typical. These kinds of dreams are actually useful, because they're warning me that it is too easy for me to take on too much, to overextend. Sometimes, about halfway through my Wednesday shipments, I feel so overwhelmed that I just have to walk away for awhile and do something else. I've got a packed store, with many different product lines, and it seems to me it wouldn't take much to tip my into a situation where I can never catch up.

At least, that's what my subconscious thinks.

My second nightmare was worse. A typical 'ostracism' dream. I have these all the time, being banished, ignored, expelled, ridiculed. I want go into the dirty details. But it is wonderful to wake up and have my wonderful wife saying to me, "I love you."

Anyway, those dreams have thrown me off my stride, so I think this will be it for today.

5 comments:

RDC said...

In your first case, was that a dream or did you just happen to visit a Borders recently?

H. Bruce Miller said...

You need to get out more, Dunc. You're getting obsessed.

I don' think I ever had a nightmare about my job -- although I've had a couple of jobs that were kind of nightmarish.

Duncan McGeary said...

"I don' think I ever had a nightmare about my job -"

Really?

Duncan McGeary said...

The 'ostracism' dreams have been the bulk of my memorable dreams since I went through my depression in the 70's. I think my subconscious is worried it's going to happen again...

H. Bruce Miller said...

""I don' think I ever had a nightmare about my job -" Really?"

Yes, really. Not that I can recall.

But for about 10 years after I graduated from college I had a recurring nightmare in which I was due to take a final exam in 10 minutes in a course that I didn't even realize I was enrolled in. It was very anxiety-producing. I later learned this type of "examination dream" is pretty common. Some people keep having it all their lives, poor bastards.

"The 'ostracism' dreams have been the bulk of my memorable dreams since I went through my depression in the 70's. I think my subconscious is worried it's going to happen again..."

If you start noticing actual symptoms of depression, see a doc ASAP. They've got much better meds for these problems now than they did 30 years ago.