Saturday, December 12, 2009

false dawns, 2.

To continue a post a few day's ago theme about False Dawns. When it comes to planning, it almost doesn't matter what happens at Christmas. Whatever happens, happens. Not much I can do about it now. I'm expecting to pay off all credit card debt, and all bills, and have perhaps a bit of cash I can put toward my IRA. The only question is how much.

But I've already made my pre-orders from Diamond for January, and they are my smallest orders in years. I've been moving more and more away from committing to large pre-orders, and instead putting my money into re-orders. As my inventory has matured and expanded, it's allowed me to have longer shelf life and to less dependent on periodical material that becomes dated. A good book is a good book, and a good game is a good game, and a good graphic novel is a good graphic novel. Sports cards and comics? Don't know until they show up, and then there's very little I can do about it...

(Pre-orders are orders that are solicited in advance. I have no control over when they'll show up, causing constant cash-flow fluctuation and the constant possibility that by the time what you ordered actually shows up, that no one is interested anymore. Re-orders are ordering material that already exists, and which ---by their very nature, if I'm re-ordering it means I've already sold out or that I perceive a demand ---I can accurately predict sales. When I first started this store, nearly 100% of my orders were pre-orders; both comics and sports cards were timely and periodical, and the backstock was so unreliable that I needed to get everything I needed upfront or risk not getting it at all...)

I suspect that nearly 65% of my orders next month will be re-orders, which eclipses the 50% it's been for the last few years.

And half of you completely don't care.

And the other half eyes are glazing....

No comments: