Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Spring Break used to be so easy to figure out. I don't even remember how we found out the dates, but we always knew when Oregon and California and Washington and even Idaho weeks were. We knew if they crossed over.

Nowadays, I can't even figure out a way to google the information. Oregon is still relatively easy, though asking the kids seems pretty useless.

Me to Kid: "Are you out of school?"

Kid, defensively. "No...."

Parent, looking at kid curiously, "Yeah, they have Teacher Conference Day."

Kids seem incapable of responding to the question, are you out of school. All of them. Weird.

I thought this week was California, but instead have had mostly Washington. Washington also has a kind of mini spring break in Feb., and so on. Very confusing. And whole states don't have the same dates, anymore. San Fran can be out a different week than L.A.

I'm sure there are new educational theories to explain staggered breaks, etc. But it just seems like yet another modern confusion.

I think I'm settling comfortably into my 'old fogie' stage. "You young whippersnappers don't read anymore! And why can't you have simple Spring Breaks?"

No comments: