Thursday, April 19, 2007

CALVIN AND THE HOBBITS

Had a herd of middle-aged people come in yesterday. Middle-agers usually come singly or in pairs, so an acutal herd of them is pretty scary, almost as bad as a herd of teenagers. I usually try to wrangle them into the used book section. If I miss my chance, then I have them loitering in the pop-culture section, and I have to listen to their general cluelessness.

Sorry, but it's true. Most middle-agers have no idea what they are looking at.

Anyway, they were over in the cartoon strip section, and one of the women looked at my Calvin and Hobbes collections and said,

"Oh, look. It's Calvin and the Hobbits!"

I really wish I had asked her if she was serious. She didn't sound like she was making a joke. But really, that is either the most dumb-ass thing I've ever heard anyone say. (Even worse than the teenage girl who said, "They make comics of Spider-man?). Or is it a pretty hip, funny thing to say.

So Pat and I got a big laugh out of that all day long.

Calvin and the Hobbits.

1 comment:

Jason said...

You really should have asked her. I think it would be funnier if she was serious, but that's a keeper either way.

Even worse than the teenage girl who said, "They make comics of Spider-man?

Caroline told me about this one. How did you handle that? I think I would have excused myself, gone outside and screamed a bit.