Monday, April 2, 2007

My employee, Patrick, has been doing a great job lately. I'm tempted to take more time off, but I'm also afraid to. I have always had a tendency to do the Lord of the Manor routine, check in and count my money. But I have to remember that one of the reasons the store is doing well is that I'm pretty plugged into it, right now.

As Pat said, there isn't really enough business for two of us to be there, but there sometimes too much for one of us. He also said he missed the old days, when he could stand around and read comics. I told him I could always take back his raises, and then he could safely ignore the customers.

I've been opening at 11:00 for years; goes back to when I worked the store seven days a week for many years, and I gave myself the concession of an extra hour in the morning. Now that Pat is there, I'm giving myself until 12:00, and allowing myself to leave at 4:00 or 5:00 sometimes. Seems sinfully luxurious.

I'm still convinced that the person who does the ordering for a small store needs to work that store nearly full time, to know what he's doing. But oh, the temptation!

2 comments:

Bender said...

Hey Duncan ... Better watch out you may have to red flag yourself if you leave too much ;-)

And I quote from one of your prior posts: "All the Red Flagged business are new and all are high-end. All have spent a great deal of money on their stores, and all seem to have management. (I maintain that most Mom and Pop businesses have to have owners working at least part of the time to manage costs -- like The Book Barn, Kitchen Complements,...and Pegasus Books, for that matter.... etc.)" ....

Jason said...

"I told (Pat) I could always take back his raises, and then he could safely ignore the customers."

I wonder if that would go over well here where I work, seeing as I haven't had a raise in years ...

I really ought to just move on. I know that I could be doing basically the same job for more money at some other hotel. And yet, here I still am.