Saturday, June 15, 2019

Started to read the Sagebrush Rebellion book.

What I already love is the wonderful real-life dialogue. It's somehow poetic and evocative.

Whereas my language is functional at best.

I'd love to be able to replicate that language, at least a little. I wonder if I really apply myself to ten pages a day, working on not only the telling detail I wanted, but somehow really deepen the dialogue--I mean, just sit there every time I hit dialogue and see if I can't figure out how to make it more individualistic, more authentic.

I mean, this book is really over my head, but that doesn't mean I can't keep trying.

I've got ten days to work on this--using the book as my spark. I hope I can add some real quality to this book.

After the first 100 pages or so, I'm going to let the plot take over, but until then, I'd like to immerse the reader into the setting, bathe them in the language. It will just take work on my part, a little extra effort.

I'm kind of looking forward to it, frankly.

I think the book is just lacking that little bit of extra to get there.

No comments: