Saturday, July 1, 2017

I have finished, I hope, the final rewrite of "Snaked." Though, actually, I'd be willing to do another round. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing improvements (and nothing less satisfying than actually doing them.)

It is much more cohesive, streamlined and action-packed "Snaked" than the original version. 

Cohesion wanted a timestamp for every chapter, a countdown, and so I had to fully analyze what was happening in the story. I found some discrepancies I needed to fix that I might not have found otherwise. I also had to figure out the countdown according to the timestamp, which required some math on my part.

Math makes my head hurt.

As an experiment, I did a version of the story where I reordered the chapters to strictly follow the timeline.

Basically, the editors told me to quit fucking with the book, that it was nearly finished, so I'm just going to send them the new chapter order and let them decide if they want to do anything with it.

All in all, a very satisfying experience. I wish more editors and publishers would do this. I feel like Cohesion is really behind the book, and it fits right in with their sea creature books, which are doing very well.

"Primordial," by https://www.amazon.com/Primordial-David-Wood-ebook/dp/B06WW7DMFB/
"Fathomless," by https://www.amazon.com/Fathomless-Greig-Beck-ebook/dp/B01N7IELYU/

and now "Snaked" by Duncan McGeary.




No comments: