Thursday, May 21, 2015

My wife the continuity hawk.

Linda read The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders for me.

She liked it, but she always notices anything that doesn't fit, anything which isn't consistent.

Which is good, you know.  There are so many things she could criticize me for, but she usually reserves her comments for when I describe a character wrong, or for a plot hole, or anything that doesn't ring true.

I've now written enough books that I've dedicated them all to just about every member of the family, as well as significant friends.  So now what?

Well, I could just as easily dedicate every book to Linda.  She is incredibly supportive and helpful.  For those who don't know, we actually met in a writer's group 33 years ago.  So she knew what she was getting...

I hear so many stories of spouse's who don't understand the time-sink, but Linda totally gets it.  In fact, she does the same thing, disappearing into her room for days at a time.

I was very serious about my writing back when we met, but with a new family, I had to compromise and get some real work, which turned out to be owning a bookstore.  I thought I'd get back to writing one of these days, but 30 years went by...

Linda actually took up serious writing again before me.  She's working on the third book of her series, after being waylaid by changes at the Bookmark.  I'm hoping that she's back on track and that she'll finish her trilogy.  She has a wonderful imagination and empathy for her characters, and I think it gives her joy.  When she finishes, we'll get some physical copies to sell at our stores.
 


No comments: