Monday, May 11, 2015

How do I make The MPDG Murders stand out?

My goal is to make The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders unique and interesting, to try to make it stand out.  That requires both that it be good and that it have something that makes people sit up and take notice.

How do I do that?

The title.  The cover.  The contents.  The sexual element.

So much of it is just luck, all but the content.  So what can I do with the content to make it a memorable read?

Well, I could make everything more extreme.  More sex, more violence?

I could do that, easily enough.  But I don't want to warp the storyline from what it naturally is.  I want it to be a complete story, not just a string of shocking events.  Much like in a blog where one can get more readers by being controversial, I could shoot for that, but in the long run, keeping my integrity is more important to me.

Another way is to be really really good with the writing.

Or to make characters so memorable that the readers care about what happens to them.

Or to put in ideas that make the readers think.

Or all the above...

Well, I've tried to do all those things.  I can only try harder.  So in the end, whether my story stands out really isn't something I can affect objectively (at least, not still be true to myself and the book) but whether the book itself is any good.

And I'm always doing my best.  As I've said before, re-writing is open-ended.  For me, it's a constant balance between retaining freshness and fully polishing the story. 

Each book I strive to do better.


No comments: