Sunday, July 6, 2014

Part One of Rewrite Done.

I realize this status report sort of thing is probably boring to everyone, but...hey, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

After waiting for almost a month to get going on it, I finally got to work on the final draft of The Dead Spend No Gold. 

I spent all day yesterday accepting the changes from Lara's editing.  This is mostly just going along and clicking acceptance.  And dealing with the occasional suggestions.

I have found that I like about 95% of word and grammar changes, so nowadays I just go ahead and click without analyzing too much.  (Linda examines every change and it takes days and days...)

So now I have a clean copy that I think is good enough to send to the publisher.  Lara focuses on making sure it is a clean edit and that the inconsistencies and continuity is correct, so I'm sure this copy is ready to go.

But, well, I want to do better than "good enough."

Adding in Bren's suggestions (as well as writer's group critique) will make it that much better.

And doing one last rewrite (including adding historical details) will make it even better.

Then back to Lara for one last clean edit.  I'm figuring a month of hard, concentrated work.  I have to stick to it until I'm finished, because all the story elements will be in my head and I don't want to lose them.  So it's the darkened room for me for a month.

But when I end the day with a book that I'm proud of, it's worth it.

No comments: