Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Next morning reflections.

So I like TUSKERS.

It flowed out of me and that can't be bad.

But the inevitable happens when I start to edit.  I start to see the flaws.  It's the turning on of the critical part of the brain.

Yesterday, I was overcome with First Draft Infatuation, as well as Finished Book Euphoria.

Last night it was, "Oh."

What usually happens with second drafts is that I try to fill out and develop the story.  I think it could probably use more description, for instance. 

But it's a good solid framework.

Of course, some of the things I like about it may not work.

Basically I introduce each character, give them some background, and then have them come up against the killer pigs.

Then I try to weave all the characters together. 

It's the spending time on the background of each character that is new, plus the extra dialogue.  I think I wrote fantasy when I started writing because I wasn't sure about dialogue, and I wasn't sure if I had experienced enough real life to write about it.

Killer pigs may not sound like real life, but in some ways its not about the pigs.

Led to the Slaughter isn't about werewolves.
The Vampire Evolution series isn't about vampires.
The Dead Spend No Gold isn't about Bigfoot.

It's about the people.

It was a wonderful experience to write a book so fast, a miracle, but it isn't the healthiest way to live I don't think...

Still, it's like a gift, and I don't feel like I should turn it down when it comes.


No comments: