Sunday, July 20, 2014

Done.

The Dead Spend No Gold: Bigfoot and the California Gold Rush.  (A Virginia Reed Adventure.)

Or will be, today.

Linda and I read through the entire book.  It was almost a collaborative effort.

Especially the love scenes.  I tend to write, uh, terse, love scenes.  Not very effusive.  Linda writes much more sentimentally.  So when I fuse the two, I think the scene works much better.

The second half of the book had fewer problems than the first half,  I think because when changes are made in the book, you have to go back to the beginning to make the changes consistent.

It is at least 10K words longer than the previous version, but the new stuff was all good and necessary I think.

The only thing I'm still concerned about is giving some kind of preachy history of the Indian genocide in California, and also repeating the themes of environmental destruction.

I'm thinking of spinning off a version today, and just cutting anything that is exposition, and see how it reads.  Just as an experiment.

But basically I'm done. 

Just a few touchups, and I'll be sending this off the Bren and Lara.  Hopefully get it back by August 1.

No comments: