Sunday, June 15, 2014

Danger, danger!

Still struggling.

Have written only one chapter in the last four days.

I think one of the reasons that the end of Ghostlander wasn't coming was because it was just too tidy.

The characters weren't in enough danger.  Things weren't going to hell enough.

So, once I figured that out, the ending started coming to me.  Ramp up the danger level.  Make things in doubt (as much as any story can be in doubt).

Problem is, by ramping up the danger, I've also complicated things.  So I have to ask myself whether making it more complicated, probably with a couple of chapters I didn't expect, really improves the book or not.

I was going to have one of the characters literally dragged into "hell" and then have her fight her way out.  But I'll be damned if I know how I'm going to do that.

I have a feeling the right ending will come to me, if I give it a chance.  I'm just sort of hovering right now, waiting for my subconscious to work on it...

No comments: