Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Plugging the plot holes.

I found a plot hole about a third of the way through Led to the Slaughter.  Well, "found" isn't probably the right word.  I sort of knew about it, but had just sort of finessed the problem, ironed over it.  It has to do with introducing a character in a sort of backward way.

To fix it, I think I'll have to write a new chapter.  It will give me a chance to put in some werewolf action, which the book could use about then.  But yeah, after about the third rewrite, I'm still addressing basic problems.

I don't think I'm overwriting by doing this.  I tend to underwrite in the first place and takes several drafts before I really catch up to where it should be.  Don't know if I'm better off underwriting -- or whether I might prefer to overwrite and then cut.

I think where I've become more comfortable in rewriting it's because I'm trusting that I am improving it, and not just moving around words.

Usually, it's a clarification, or a better and more precise or cleaner way of saying things.  Occasionally it's a nice 'telling detail.' 

But I'm pretty sure in most cases that the rewrite makes it a better book.

No comments: