Sunday, January 26, 2014

One last quick polish.

After I saw Andy's cover to Led to the Slaughter, I decided to give the book one last polish.  Enough time has passed, that my re-writing seems to be very effective.  I really like this book, and the small additions I'm making are only making it better.

I wrote one new scene, involving wolves.  Can't have too many wolves.

And I smoothed out the introduction of a major character, which was the only awkward part of the story that I still wasn't completely comfortable with. 

Fixed.

So now it's just a matter of doing the little things to improve the writing slightly.  Feels good.

If you remember, I had a hard time getting into a re-write kind of mood, but somehow I've broken through that block and now I kind of like it.  It was the constant re-writing of Faerylander, I think.  Seeing how the book firmed up and became something more substantial.

For some reason, I'm much more confident that I'm improving the book.  The only part of this polish that I retracted was some of the stuff on the first page.  It can be a temptation to over-write the first page, so I went back and only kept a few of the changes.  The rest of the changes in the book have been nothing but an improvement.

But I think doing more than this last polish puts the book in danger of being over-thought and over-done.  I think this last polish is finding a light but effective course.

No comments: