Saturday, July 13, 2013

Is writing bad for me?

Linda is off in Portland visiting Todd, so I dared drink some beer last night.  I'm so not used to it, that 3 beers had me totally snookered. 

Anyway, I came to a surprising -- or maybe not so surprising conclusion:  I need to slow down on this writing thing. 

I'm not actually sure it's altogether good for me, mentally, emotionally, or physically.  I get shut in for days and weeks at a time, to the point that when I emerge I feel almost dizzy when the real world strikes me.

There was a reason I quit writing all those years ago.  I can almost feel myself regressing into a hermit again.

I'm not sure if there is a way to moderate it.  It may be that by moderating it, means I don't do it.

I'm going to finish RULES OF VAMPIRE -- and then concentrate on rewriting for a couple of months.  I haven't even picked up WOLFLANDER since I finished it, for instance.  I should be getting back a revived version of SOMETIMES A DRAGON that I can work on.  I could do another run through of DEVILTREE with Linda's suggestions.

Rewriting is more of a cold blooded process -- doesn't require as much immersion into the dreamworld.

Then -- when I go back to writing, I'm going to try to find a way to both accommodate my real life but give myself enough room for the dreamlife. 

No comments: