Thursday, September 30, 2010

Shortstuff.

I watched the 10th Inning documentary sequel to Baseball.

Made me nostalgic, even though I quit paying attention to B.B. a long time ago.

Also made me wonder if the season homerun record of Roger Maris, and the lifetime homerun record of Hank Aaron will ever be broken.

**********

Coyotes love Canadian Goose eggs. We need to bring a couple of coyotes downtown...

**********

Looking at the lists of Hot Christmas Toys. Won't have any of them. Nada.

**********

Been trying to come up with a Sedgway joke. Reminds me of the story that the first two horseless carriages in a certain state supposedly crashed into each other at an intersection.

Poor guy, that blinding 12 mph speed was just too much. They should never have taken out the parachute option.

Sedgways are dangerous! Especially if you drive them off cliffs. Of course, people fall off cliffs all the time. Walking is dangerous!

*********

Once again, the MacArthur genieooos grants have passed me by. I think it's because I insulted Gen. MacArthur that time. Called him Dugout Doug. Yeah, that must be it.

**********

As I tweeted yesterday, How will I ever withstand the overwhelming semi-interest in my product by customers? I mean, I'm getting people in the store, and they seem sort of kina interested, and they might throw a compliment my way, but they ain't opening their wallets.

**********

In conjunction to the above observation, it seems to me that I should be way more worried by what I'm seeing than I am.

Somehow, my gut instinct is that we're on the right course and everything will be fine.

Is that just my native optimism?

Either way, my brain can take over the planning around Christmas, if need be.

**********

There is a large element of "If you build it, they will come" to small business. There is no way around it.

But experience tinges it with a, "Yeah, but they may get lost along the way....." feeling.

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Coyotes love Canadian Goose eggs. We need to bring a couple of coyotes downtown..."

Saw a very healthy-looking coyote in my suburban neighborhood a few days ago -- first one I've seen there in, oh, at least 15 years. Looked sleek and well-fed. Probably was hunting squirrels.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"In conjunction to the above observation, it seems to me that I should be way more worried by what I'm seeing than I am."

Is what you're seeing (customers browsing, not buying) unusual? Has it been different in the past? Seems pretty typical customer behavior to me.

Duncan McGeary said...

"Seems pretty typical customer behavior to me."

True enough...but the proportion of buying to browsing could be better.

Left with the locals, you really notice an end of the month dropoff.

Duncan McGeary said...

"We need to bring a couple of coyotes downtown..."

to join the cougars.....

H. Bruce Miller said...

Hey Dunc, I'm wondering what your take is on this: http://www.ktvz.com/news/25218169/detail.html

Bend rated one of "America's Best Small Cities for Business and Careers" by Forbes magazine.

I think it's a load of shit. But maybe that's just me.