Thursday, September 16, 2010

Anxiety dream, anyone?

I dreamed last night that I bought a hardware store.

I'm visiting the store, and beginning to realize that I know NOTHING about the store. The former owner is acting evasive and shifty. I keep meeting more and more and more employees. One of them takes me aside and says, "The free beer is a problem...."

"You guys get free beer?!"

Everywhere I look, there is old tired product, that doesn't look like anyone has ever even picked them up, much less bought them. Weird, odd and singular stuff.

And yet more employees. I take out a notebook and start writing their names down. And meanwhile, I haven't seen a single customer the whole time I'm there.



I think it comes down to my computer glitch and the makeover and a comment Chuck Arnold made while visiting the store yesterday: "Do you have a lot of Shrinkage?"

Cameron says, "What's Shrinkage...?"

We both laughed, but then I said, "You know ... that really is a jargony word. Why the hell don't we say theft? Or shoplifting?"

(I suppose shrinkage is used because it covers both employees and customers....)

Anyway: Anxiety Dream, anyone?

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Sounds a lot like the "exam dream" that many recent (and some not so recent) college graduates have: You suddenly realize that in 15 minutes, or maybe half an hour, you're supposed to take the final exam in a course you didn't even know you were enrolled in. You haven't done any of the reading, haven't gone to any of the lectures, don't know the first damn thing about the subject. Then you wake up in a cold sweat.

I had recurring dreams like that for about two years after I graduated. Some poor bastards have them all their lives, I hear.

Probably has to do with the feeling all of us have, deep down inside somewhere, that we really don't know what the hell we're doing.

Owen said...

Hey, coulda been a worse dream, you could have dreamed you owned "Duncan's Donuts"...

Anonymous said...

Worked for a company with free beer in Bend Oregon...it was much like your dream in some ways. Then again everyone was happy, until the beer ran out...

RDC said...

I worked for a company that would have a little company get together with food and free beer every Friday afternoon around 4pm. Was quite a nice perk.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Shrinkage," of course, has another meaning entirely to fans of the old Seinfeld show.