Sunday, September 26, 2010

Customers are even more illogical.

The previous post was a roundabout way to call into question some of the consumer choices I see.

I can' t tell you the number of times someone walks away from an in-stock book, for instance, saying, "I'll buy it used."

This is almost always an illogical choice.

I'm going to make a blanket statement here. Everytime you walk away from a new copy of a book to look for a used copy, it costs you 5.00.

Example: I have a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird for 15.00 retail. Same copy would be 7.50 used.

Customer walks away looking for the book.

It will take a Minimum of half an hour to go back to your car, drive to the next likely bookstore, go in and shop, get back in your car and get back to where you started.

It will probably take you a minimum of a quarter gallon of gas in wear and tear and gas costs on your car.

So -- half hour of time, is 4.25 at minimum wage, quarter gallon of gas and wear and tear, .75.
Thus 5.00.

Mind you, most of these customers wouldn't work for 8.50 an hour, but there it is....

So....here's the kicker.

My new book buying is based on three things: Classics, Cult books, and favorites. That's what I concentrate on getting. I can tell you, most of these three categories of books rarely show up used --

Why? I already told you. Because........they're classics, cult books and favorites -- the same exact books that most people keep. Buy once and keep.

So whenever we get classics, cults and favorites, it's usually because someone is getting rid of a relative's books, or something like that.

Now Linda's store has pretty much an open door policy -- that is, we pretty much take everything that comes in the door. It amounts to 200 or 300 books a day -- which is more books than it sounds. That's enough books to cover a 6' by 3' table with stacks a foot or two high. Lots of books.

Now most of those books are going to be mysteries, S.F., romances. A large portion will be best-selling, new literature. Some are going to be non-fiction. And so on.

A very small portion are going to cult books like, The Alchemist or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Desert Solitaire. A very small portion are going to be classics, like Catcher in the Rye or 1984. We don't get collections of Hemingway and Steinbeck all that often. An even smaller portion are going to be my favorites.

I know it doesn't make much sense. The world must be awash with Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. You'd think.

But, like I said, I think most people keep them.

"I find these books all the time!" I hear you say. Or, at least, that's what the customers constantly say to me.

But it's a perceptual problem. You found the books you found, you didn't find the books you didn't find. At any one time, all used bookstores are going to have a portion of classics and cult books.

But will they have the specific classic or cult book, at this time, right now, available to buy that you are looking for?

I'm guessing, for instance, that we only get To Kill a Mockingbird in maybe 10 times a year; I'm also guessing that it stays out for sale for less than a week. So, out of every 52 weeks of the year, we'll have it available maybe 10 weeks. Multiply that by all the other classics and cult books, and at any one time we are going to have a fairly large collection of good books.

But will we have THE ONE book you're looking for, the book that I have in stock at retail price and that you're holding in your hand?

Odds are worse than you think.

"What about stores like Powell's?" I hear you ask. Well, assuming you live in Portland, you can probably add more cost to the half an hour -- more time, parking costs, shopping time, etc. Powell's is probably more likely to have it, it's true. Because they buy books, instead of trading. But remember, the supply and demand equation doesn't really change all that much. If I can keep 10 copies in for ten weeks out of the year, and Powell's does ten time the business, then they have ten times as many people looking for the book.

See what I mean?

So you go to the next bookstore, and it costs you 5.00 in time and energy. You get it for 2.50 less than it would have cost you to buy it new. If you have to go to two bookstores before you find it, it cost you 2.50 more. If you got to three stores, 10.00. If you have to give up and come back to my store and buy it new, it cost you nearly twice as much as original retail.

Or you can go online, take half an hour of your time that way, wait for it to show up, pay the shipping costs and take your chances.

Or you can buy the book for retail, right now. AT best -- even if you do find the book at the next used bookstore you go to, you save yourself all of 2.50.

I guarantee you that if you read the book, the original cost will be the last thing you're worried about. You'll remember the book. You'll remember if you liked it or not. You're not going to be thinking of whether you just straight out bought it, or got in your car and wandered around to 'save' a few bucks.

It's illogical, I tell you.


Again, I'll put a little caveat here. Some people just enjoy shopping. It isn't about the book.

But really, most of the time these guys actually find something in my store. It's the guys who walk away because I have that one book they want, but at retail, who are wasting their time.

It's instant karma --- they are being punished by fate for making an illogical decision, though they are probably not logical enough to realize it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Or you can go online, take half an hour of your time that way, wait for it to show up, pay the shipping costs and take your chances."

A quick trip to Amazon dot com gave me quite a bevy of choices for used copies of To Kill A Mockingbird. If I wanted to buy that book used, no way would it take 30 minutes. More like 90 seconds. I've purchased used books there and from Powell's dot com and have no problems to report. Yep, I will do it again. I don't have time to drive around town looking for a book, and I can wait for the item to be shipped to me 99% of the time.

Anonymous said...

You made a good point about the costs of looking around. Whether it's books, groceries, or other quotidian purchases, one's usually better off paying a bit more than bargain hunting.

The earlier Anonymous is right too about buying on line. Usually it is cheaper. But then what you want now you don't get until about 10 days later if you're an internet shopper.

I've bought from you where a $45 item I could have purchased for $39 (postage included) through Amazon. For $6 extra it was worth it to have the item immediately. Plus I got the chance to chat with you about your business, downtown, and Bend. That's always a pleasure and it costs nothing.

RDC said...

A couple of flaws in you cost of looking aorund. First of all money spent is more expensive then money earned. Money spent is post tax while money earned is pretax so you need to adjust the value by whatever income tax rate the customer is paying. Also most people cannot dial up additional work hours at will. So it is not the case that someone can say I will buy this now and go spend the hour I would be looking working to make up for the higher expense. Their income is usually pretty fixed. Shopping is a leisure activity, some like it more than others, but it is an activity that one does with their free time. Especially in a store like yours Duncan. Lets say they saved the time and spent more then they might need to find something else to do during the time saved that might cost them even more. Finally, in most cases the comment I will go ind it used is an easy way for them to say that they do not want it and allows them to disengage from the conversation.

Duncan McGeary said...

I haven't tried to make the LOCAL argument -- because I think most people buy for their own reasons. Telling them that a much larger percentage of the dollar stays local, only works with people who already so inclined.

I think there are lots of little arguments on both sides. But the basic point remains.

(And yes, RDC, I'm assuming they actually WANT the damn book.)

Walking away, for instance, means that you get a call from the wife while in the car about a sick kid, or the plumbing has back upped and you don't remember that you didn't get the book until much later.

I mean, here is the book, you say you want to read it, and if you walk away you walk into an uncertainty.

I'm just saying, buy the book. It won't hurt you, it will help me, and who gives a fuck about Walmart.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have not heard that the smart phones have an application that lets you take a photo of a barcode and within moments you can see who in your town has same item and at what price as well as links to websites that sell the same item. People who have such devices can make a decision on whether to buy the item right then and there, or to go to the best solution for them. Cool, but wow, who would have thought that this was possible even 5 years ago?

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Some people just enjoy shopping. It isn't about the book."

And some people get a kick out of getting what they consider "a great deal" on a book or whatever ... even if, as you point out, it isn't really a good deal when you factor in the time wasted.

As for being illogical, people often don't behave logically in economic matters. Classical (Adam Smith) economics assumed they do, but increasingly that assumption has been shown to be false.

Duncan McGeary said...

Actually, for me it might take more than half an hour.

You are already set up to buy online, you are probably already buying online.

The guy in the store looking for a book is probably buying to book for his kid at school, or for himself because he got a sudden interest.

So for those of us who don't buy online all the time, I'd have to find the right site, learn to navigate it, learn how to order, with what to order, and how much shipping and -- again, for those of us who don't buy online -- it seems like a whole lot of bother.

Especially, as I say, if you have the book in your hand -- right now!-- and you can buy it for retail. Walking away just seems dubious, cost-effective wise, no matter how you slice it.

Anonymous said...

How weird - I went to your store a while back, and accidentally stumbled onto your website today - and I was one of the people guilty of that. I have kind of...strange reasons for liking used books. For one, they're cheaper, and can usually be found in good quality. And there's just something about them that I love; they've seen at least one previous reader who for whatever reason chose to give them up. And if it's a really exciting or shocking book (like the last book in a series with an exciting ending), I can literally feel the energy from when they read it (a good example is volume 12 of Death Note, which I read and then bought used). And there's just something charming about a collection of books in which in a single series, there is a mix of used and new books. Yeah, I'm weird like that. One of these days I should go back to your store. It is a rather awesome store.

Duncan McGeary said...

Real readers probably have similar experiences.

I know that I shop at used bookstores, not just my wife's, but I usually have a pretty broad expectation of finding something, an author or subject or title I might like, even take a chance on something I haven't heard of.

But if I wanted a particular book, and it was right in front of me, I think I'd buy it.