Sunday, June 20, 2010

Whimpering out.

Oh, the mighty roars of the iconoclasts. Bend is doomed! Doomed I tell you! Everyone who disagrees is an idiot! You'll see! Yoooouuu'lllll see! Just wait! ( Circa 2007.)

And then silence.

Thing is, most of those predictions were right.

H. Bruce has a column about the migration flows as of 2008, which seem to show an influx. I do think this is dated, but I also think it's a continuation of what's the natural flow toward what Bend will be -- vacation, retirement, and second homes. I still get people in the door my age or older who are talking about moving here, or have just moved here.

I also get a lot of younger, working age people say they are leaving.

Lots of brave talk about bringing in "living wage" jobs, but not much execution. Lots of talk about higher education, and training. Again, it isn't much happening.

These goals take a bunch of money which we don't have.

What we do have is tourism and retirement.

I don't really see housing coming back. 27 building permits in May would seem pretty pathetic since we'd normally be moving into prime building season. The Bulletin asks, Shadow Inventory? Hey, just look around you. Just look at the weed infested lots on the west side. Ask yourself how many homes were parked into 'rentals' until the market turned around.

Retail? Yes, downtown continues to fill up, but I kind of predicted that too. I thought the overflow of interest would continue for some time, maybe even long enough to bridge the gap between the bubble bursting and a real recovery. But you don't want to scratch too deep as to the real strength of all those retailers. A surge of consignment shops? Along with second-hand stores and antique stores, this is a negative indicator.

The biggest whimpering out, are the "Destination Resorts" which have quietly dropped most of their marketing campaigns, and/or put their plans into mothballs. They've made their "private" golf courses "public" and tried to make it sound like it was something they WANTED to do.

Or maybe the biggest whimpering out are the overreaches -- Juniper Ridge and the BAT. Quietly, behind the scenes, these are being off loaded.

So why aren't the iconoclasts pointing, and saying, "I told you so?"

The unwinding is slow and tedious. Plus, I gots to wonder if lots of these guys, who seemed so sure the downturn wasn't going to affect them, did indeed get hammered. A sinking ship takes everyone down.

There seemed to be a pretty steady drumbeat of "green shoot" news there for awhile. (Amazingly, the Bulletin has actually been a little restrained in their reporting -- as if realizing that Bend is a special case. They hint around the edges, that we're in for a whimpering rcovery, but also a whimpering bad time.)

I've said before, I miss the iconoclasts, but I think the poor dears are all worn out....

Whimper....

5 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Amazingly, the Bulletin has actually been a little restrained in their reporting -- as if realizing that Bend is a special case."

Possibly they're embarrassed because they were cheerleaders for the bubble so long and pretended for so long that it wasn't bursting. If they're not they should be. They did no service to this community by encouraging it to believe the bubble would go on inflating forever because "Bend is special -- people want to live here!"

Unknown said...

You hit something that nails my frustration about being a Bendite. After living here for nearly 14 years (I moved here for school when I was 19) on and off it is only now that I've found a career that after I finish my internship in the fall will I be making a living wage. I've had to ride the BAT, have had to have roommates, and share the burden of living with those around me because here in Bend there are really only two types: the haves and have nots. And those haves seem to be content to open businesses that offer jobs with no future and continue this pattern of human cogs in a machine. Sure someone has to flip the burgers. Someone has to clean the toilets and fluff the pillows. But I would venture to say that we live in a town where the infrastructure is nearly 70% performing low paying service jobs, 15% living a middle class lifestyle, and the other 15% running this town from their seats high on the hill. I am glad for the job I have now but I know the frustration Bend employment can bring. The college in many cases is a joke because people work hard at school often times going there just so they can stay here but once out (even in a good economy) there are not the kinds of jobs in this town that make college graduates want to stay. I suppose I should get to a point. The point being the people with the money and power in this town don't seem to realize that THEY are the biggest reason we were hit even harder than anyone else when the economy dropped out. Their ideas of these hands free businesses with a workforce of undereducated human machines can not and will not stabilize the region. This region is rife for tech jobs, "green" industry, and other "future" commerce. As is now all we have is a huge divide separated by self-medication because for most it is all you can do to stand living the life you have thrust upon you while living in this region. Don't even get me started on St Charles...

Jack

Duncan McGeary said...

I felt I had to create my own job to stay in Bend after college. If I was going to have to earn minimum wage, at least I wanted to be in charge.

That's an incubator for small business, obviously. But I also think a lot of new small businesses aren't understanding that they'll make a modest living for hard work and risk, at best.

Most retailers and restaurants really can't afford to pay much more than minimum wage. It's tourism jobs -- minimum wage. It's the nature of the beast.

Jack, you say we're "rife" for better jobs, but how is that going to happen?

We're hundreds of miles from other metro areas, or interstates, or full-blown 4 year colleges. Our airport struggles to keep it's major metro connections.

Our local government is not in any financial shape to help -- except having another "study" or "conference" or "committee". They shot their wad during the boom on pie in the sky schemes.

I think -- at least for what is left of my career -- that I'll expect Bend to survive on tourism and retirement, and not expect major changes.

Unknown said...

Point taken...I suppose we would be as I said rife with opportunity if we had planned better. Hindsight and all of that. :) I think I'm looking at it from this being a beautiful area and really is only flawed with failed government (which I think is true everywhere right now) and misuse of funds on as you say "pie in the sky" spending...a symptom of the later.

Mrs Sally Heatherton Esq said...

Hola Dunc and Bend Gringo Bitches ...

I think you missed the essence, of why US iconoclasts are long gone. It's because fighting for a rotting corpse is not a good war.

The reason there is not a peep, is there is NOTHING left to say. It's been said. We all tried to fight the 'developers' and they won. They own city-hall, they cooked the stew, and now they have live in their own shit.

Just had a good talk with a contractor in PDX last night about all the un-employed in Bend was "Why are they still there?". Why do people who go to a gold-rush town, not leave when the gold is depleted.

Yes, I see a lot of kids still coming to Bend, they don't know any better. I see a lot of oldsters, they think they're getting a good deal. But here is the CRUX. 90% of everyone I know that came to Bend in the last ten years is now down 80% on their home, they can't sell, and don't want to lose the majority of their life savings on their retirement, they're all struggling to find odd jobs post-retirement to make up for low ROI on their savings.

The thing to look at is not folks coming, in but the 'retirees' that are stuck. My opinion is they'll slowly walk-away, from the homes they can no longer afford.

Bend is fucked. City-Hall is still fucking the citizenry, water bills are going up ASTRO. Bend now charges a month, what PDX charges a quarter. In a year Bend will be charging a month what PDX charges a year.

Bend as a BRAND means to be FUCKED (tm). We're now at the stage where a sucker who has been conned is ashamed to go the police, and ergo the silence deafening silence.