Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pop shorting.

Awesome. The Bulletin just paid for itself: "Put newspapers to work in your garden."

I'm building paths around the 'wild' areas of my property, and this might just be the perfect solution. I always knew the newspaper was .....err, compost.

Just kidding, just kidding.

**********

Last week's entry about Monday being Stepfather's Day probably didn't make much sense. I meant THIS coming Monday, you know, the day after Father's Day....

**********

There you go. Look at all the public money Bend would be foregoing without a public transit system: "...Central Oregon's fledgling transit service stand to split about 6.4 million in state funding." The Bulletin, 10/16/10.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this; if we need a transit district, and I'm willing to accept that we probably do, then missing out on the public monies wouldn't be too smart. I still think they built the damn thing, and said, "There. We can't pay for it, but what are you going to do about it?"

Which is ... rude.

*********

How...appropriate....how synchronistic...how fateful is this? Apple I-Pad is denying acceptance of a graphic novel adaptation of James Joyce, Ulysses.

Wiki: "Since publication, the book attracted controversy and scrutiny, ranging from early obscenity trials to protracted textual "Joyce Wars.""

This following the deletion by Kindle of George Orwell, 1984. They went all Big Brother on their ass.

You couldn't make this stuff up....

**********

I find my position on 'extreme sports' for kids to be a bit uncomfortable. I'm usually the one who says, "Let kids be kids."

I think the difference is when I detect extreme 'pushing' on the part of the parents. Kids take chances, and this is probably a good thing. But it should be something they just do naturally -- and that sometimes I think they are given inordinate attention for taking chances -- and the more extreme the chances, the more attention.

And the kid pushes the envelope too far, maybe farther than he would left to himself. Losing limbs and becoming paralyzed or worse -- one such 'extreme' athlete was profiled in the paper a few years ago, and I noticed that every single picture had him doing something that looked really dangerous, and in every single picture, adults were watching approvingly.

Living your life through your kids is natural, I suppose. But some of these more extreme examples look artificially motivated to me.

"Go kid! Go kid! .....oops."

Linda uses the example of finding out later that our sons were climbing down the Crooked River Gorge to go camping. There would be two ways to respond to that: "Gee, aren't you daring. How fun that must of been!"

Or...."Do you really think that's a good idea?"

6 comments:

Unknown said...

1984? Really? I didn't see that. That is about the stupidest news I've heard all morning. I wonder if they allow Catcher in the Rye? Wouldn't want someone killing Lady Gaga or a politician. LOL

H. Bruce Miller said...

"How...appropriate....how synchronistic...how fateful is this? Apple I-Pad is denying acceptance of a graphic novel adaptation of James Joyce, Ulysses."

This highlights one of the scary possibilities when we hand over control of publishing to a few -- maybe eventually only one or two -- digital publishers: Their power to control what Americans read (and thus what they know) becomes tremendous. I don't want Steve Jobs (or his counterpart 30 years from now) deciding what books, newspapers, magazines and other reading matter Americans have access to.

Duncan McGeary said...

Well, exactly.

As you sleep, 1984 and Animal House disappear.

Or...they could CHANGE the content.

I can see people searching and hoarding books in the future, as the "Real" thing -- because no one will trust the digital version.

Sort of a Fahrenheit 451 by neglect.

H. Bruce Miller said...

And will the Emperor Steve Jobs have squads of "firemen" going around burning the surviving real books?

I don't trust the sneaky bastard.

Mrs Sally Heatherton Esq said...

This is all old news.

Just sometime try to find Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth".... Talking about censorship.

"Truth is always stranger than fiction, fiction has to make sense". - twain

H. Bruce Miller said...

"Just sometime try to find Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth"."

I found it on Amazon with about three clicks. (Paperback, $9.95)